Command+Period or Command+Backslash

mattcanty
mattcanty
Community Member

Hello.

Mac & Firefox (v92.0.1) user here. I have 1Password app and extension installed.

I am confused by the Command+Period and Command+Backslash shortcuts. They open what appears to be different extensions but I only have one installed.

• Command+Period: Smaller and nicer pop up. Appears to work well. Newer command, wasn't always there. Effective.
  • Command+Backslash: The OG command. Pop up is not as nice. Doesn't always work. Currently tells me that I need to "Install the Firefox extensions". This command is in my muscle memory!

I'm sure this is just a "uninstall this" or "toggle that" and move on. But can someone explain what changed and when?

Thanks
Matt

1Password Version: 7.8.7 (70807004)
Extension Version: 2.1.3
OS Version: MacOS Big Sur 11.6

Comments

• jareha
    jareha
    Community Member

I really don’t know what is up with 1Password these days. All these little inconsistencies make for a death by a thousand cuts.

• jareha
    jareha
    Community Member

And, on this note, I’ve gone back to the classic extension as I’ve had nothing but trouble with 1Password in the browser.

• @mattcanty:

The ⌘+Period shortcut is being provided by 1Password in the browser, our newer extension.

@jareha:

Would you mind elaborating on some of the issues you've run into using 1Password in the browser? The 1Password classic extension is no longer being actively developed.

Jack

• mattcanty
    mattcanty
    Community Member

@jack.platten I only have one extension installed on Firefox. Do I need it?

• @mattcanty

For the best experience possible with Firefox, this extension should be installed and enabled:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1password-x-password-manager/?src=search

I hope that helps!

Ben

• mattcanty
    mattcanty
    Community Member

Yep, OK. I have that installed.

• Excellent. :+1:

Ben

• wafflestomper
    wafflestomper
    Community Member

I've been using 1password for years in Chrome, and I would always hit command-\ then would use touch-ID to allow, it would auto fill the username/password onto the page I am currently on. It is no longer doing that.

For some reason I now have to hit option-command-\ to open and unlock 1password. If I select the login from there, it will open a new tab (not what I want to do). If I don't, I have to click back to the original tab, then click command-\ and it will fill like it used to.

Am I missing something or did this update mess something up?

• rgarer
    rgarer
    Community Member

I'm seeing the same thing recently. I've had to click to open 1password as the shortcut hasn't worked for a few weeks. I've reinstalled the browser extension and have the latest Chrome version (95.0.4638.69), though updating Chrome several times since this appeared hasn't made a difference.

• jareha
    jareha
    Community Member

I’m unable to set Command + \ as my preference for “Fill Login or Show 1Password” in the 1Password desktop on Mac. (To be sure, I’ve looked through all options in Keyboard → Shortcuts and have found no reference to this combo.)

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2022

@jareha

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/124178/command-period-or-command-backslash#latest
    • Your forum username: jareha

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.
      The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

ref: dev/apple/issues#5548

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2022

@jareha

Thanks. I'll be replying soon.

ref: NSK-81754-933

• jonmcauliffe
    jonmcauliffe
    Community Member

i have the same problem jareha showed in his screenshot on january 17. is there a solution?

• Hey @jonmcauliffe:

Thanks for following up. There is a fix, but it will clear all 1Password preferences and reset them to default. This includes the state of Touch ID, so ensure that you have your password to unlock 1Password handy so you aren't locked out.

1. If 1Password is running, right-click the 1Password icon at the top right of your macOS menu bar, and choose Quit 1Password Completely.
    2. Open Finder and go to: ~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword7/Data/Library
    3. Locate Preferences and move it to Trash.
    4. Go to: ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library
    5. Locate Preferences and move it to Trash.
    6. Open Terminal and run the following command: killall cfprefsd
    7. Open and unlock 1Password, and confirm that your default keyboard shortcuts are in place.

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• jonmcauliffe
    jonmcauliffe
    Community Member

hi jack,

thanks for responding. i did all this. i then tried Cmd-\ while chrome was in focus. it successfully opened the 1password menu-bar item (i wasn't at a login page, so there were no fields for 1password to fill). however, the menu-bar item showed the "install 1password extension" button instead of showing my 1password content. so i assumed i needed to restart chrome. i did so. after restart, things are in a new state: Cmd-\ will successfully populate a login page, but if i'm not on a login page, Cmd-\ fails to open the 1password menu-bar item. (if i click on the menu-bar item, i do see my 1password content, rather than the "add the extension" button.)

best
    jon.

• Hey @jonmcauliffe:

Thanks for clarifying. I've just done some more investigating on our end, and if you're using a browser other than Safari, and using 1Password in the browser (our newer browser extension) rather than the classic extension, pressing Cmd + \ if a page has no fillable fields won't show 1Password mini from the menu bar.

Let me know if that all tracks with your situation, or if it doesn't, in which case I can definitely dig in further with you.

Jack

• jonmcauliffe
    jonmcauliffe
    Community Member

hi jack,

thanks for getting back to me. i am using chrome, not safari, and i am using "1password in the browser". so it sounds like it's a known issue that cmd-\ won't open 1password mini from the menu bar.

is this a WONTFIX, or will it resume working with chrome at some point?

best
    jon.

• @jonmcauliffe

This will work a bit differently with 1Password 8, which is just around the corner.

Ben

• jareha
    jareha
    Community Member

This will work a bit differently with 1Password 8, which is just around the corner.

I don’t mean to be glib, but “work differently with 1Password 8” means not at all for me.

I’ve set “Fill in Browser” to Command + / as you see in the attached screenshot. Subsequently, when attempting this keyboard shortcut in Mozilla Firefox, nothing happens.

All I want is functionality back that I came to rely on for years.

• @jareha

If you are using Firefox try changing the shortcut within it.

Right-click on 1Password in the browser (toolbar icon) and select settings. From there, specify the shortcut. That might help things.

• jareha
    jareha
    Community Member

So, “Open with shortcut”? If so, this isn’t the functionality I’m looking for. Command + / used to fill out any applicable forms on a page—in. one. step.

Even further, once I “Open with shortcut” and whether the item I want is already highlighted or if I search for proper item, clicking Enter doesn’t fill the form, which means I’m now required to use my trackpad to navigate to and click the “Autofill“ button.

This discussion has been closed.