1Password 8 System Requirements

romad
romad
Community Member

I received an email about the upcoming release but can't find the system requirements. Will it work with MacOS 10.13.6?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6

Comments

• @romad

Thanks for reaching out to us and for interest in 1Password 8! At the moment early access is currently only available in macOS 10.15 or later. While I can't say for sure whether we'll support older operating systems, I'd recommend keeping your eyes on our official release notes to confirm whether macOS 10.13.6 will be supported when we move to stable release.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Thank you. Since Apple refuses to release any updates past 10.13.6 for my iMac, it looks like 1Pwd7 will be the last version I will ever use if 1Pwd8 won't support it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sorry to hear this @romad, but I certainly understand if you are not able to update your macOS on your iMac. As Chantelle said though, please keep an eye out for the release notes in the future just in case :+1:

• claus
    claus
    Community Member

Another "mistake" with v8 - if only available for MacOS 10.15 and 10.16.
    Please keep on supporting v7 - and keep in eye that it works High Sierra 10.13 and higher. Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@claus:

1Password 7 already works on High Sierra 10.13 and higher, so I don't think that will change in the future, as the development switches towards 1Password version 8 :+1:

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Another "mistake" with v8 - if only available for MacOS 10.15 and 10.16.

Actually not a mistake. One of the reasons for going with an Electron front-end, despite its issues, was that this works with 10.13 (assuming the back-end works). If they had used SwiftUI it would have been restricted to 10.15 and higher.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Turns out that even IF 1Password 8 will run on High Sierra, I will NOT be getting it as I just found out it will be subscription only. I refuse to use subscription software as that business model allows a company to charge MORE over the life of the version than they would selling the software outright.

I crunched the numbers on upgrading to 1Pwd7 and discovered that at about 13/14 months I would exceed the cost of an outright purchase. Since it is a little over 2 years between versions, a subscription would have cost me at least double the standalone upgrade.

I have no problem if the upgrade price has to be raised due to costs but using a subscription business model is in reality a sneaky way to just increase profits, IMO. Therefore I have made it my policy to not do business with a company that solely uses a subscription model. I'm sorry to see Agile going down this negative road.

• I'm sorry to see you go, @romad. We've had a lot of great conversations over the years, even if we haven't always seen eye to eye. Subscriptions are how 1Password is going to operate going forward. They're necessary for a sustainable 1Password. Best of luck and stay safe out there.

Ben

• Hi @AndrewParker

macOS High Sierra has been unsupported by Apple as of December 2020. While I don't anticipate any significant issues using 1Password 7 on that system in the short term, I'm not in a position to make promises about the long term. Our recommendation here would have to be to start planning for an upgrade.

Ben

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Unfortunately, Ben, "upgrading" would entail buying a new computer; not everyone can afford that, especially those like me who are now on fixed incomes. Another problem is I use a a piece of software that is critical to me and cannot be updated since the developer passed away 8 years ago. I searched for a comparable piece of software but haven't found any as good. So if I was to buy a new computer, I'd have to buy inferior software to replace the older application! Hopefully in the near future someone will come up with a viable replacement. As for 1P7, I'll continue to use it as long as possible, then look for a non-subscription replacement; if that fails I'll go back to the 3M password manager.

• @romad

I understand. I don't mean this to be at all tongue in cheek: I'm interested in better understanding the thought process. I worked in IT for 7 years before coming here, and I've been with 1Password for 13. In my professional experience the average life expectancy of a computer is about 5 years. How old is the computer you're currently using? How much longer do you anticipate it lasting before there is no choice but to purchase a new one?

If the developer passed away 8 years ago that is an eternity in terms of software. I guess software years are like dog years in that regard. As you say, it already does not work with the currently available modern systems. It seems to me the clock is ticking and the question isn't if you'll need to use different software, but when.

Again I'm not trying to be inflammatory here; I'm genuinely curious as to if and how you've thought about these situations. We've had a fair amount of interaction in the time you've been using 1Password, so I hope you know I'm sincere and want to engage in meaningful and hopefully productive discourse.

Ben

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

As I said, I searched for a comparable piece of software but haven't found any as good. So if I was to buy a new computer, I'd have to buy inferior software to replace the older application! Hopefully in the near future someone will come up with a viable replacement.

The problem is that while there is some similar software available, their quality (feature set, UI, processes, etc) are, for my use, not as good as the software from 8+ years ago. Heck, there is even modern APPLE software that isn't as useful as what was released years ago for NewtonOS and MacOS. In fact the MacOS application (and its related iOS app) I still use was derived from an original NewtonOS application.

I love 1Password and would buy version 8 if I had a Mac that ran MacOS 15, but the major deal breaker is it is subscription only. And it is not just software from AgileBits, as any vendor's subscription-only software is DOA for me.

• Thanks for engaging, @romad. I appreciate the perspective. I do hope that you're able to find something that works as well if not better for you when the time comes. :)

Ben

• Happy to help. :)

Ben

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Is virtualisation an option for you if you got a new computer? Remember that VMWare Fusion is now free for personal use. I'm using it for one program I like that does not work on current systems, but it is not something that is of major importance to me.

• Thanks a great point, @danco. Thanks for sharing.

Ben

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Hmmm, didn't know that VMFusion was now free; previously I'd compared it and Parallels and felt that the latter was probably the way to go. Of course at the time it was so I could use some Windows software! I'll keep VMFusion in mind.

• You're very welcome. I hope that's helpful.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.