Saves "wrong" password

Options
lerbi
lerbi
Community Member
edited October 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Registering at a new website. When asked for a password, I click on the 1Password icon and get a three-word password. I copy and paste that password where asked and save. When I go to the 1Password desktop app, I check to make sure the password was saved "correctly" and find an entirely different password. When I double click on the website in my Logins, I'm taken to the correct website and the "surprise" password turns out to be the correct one for that site. What is going on? Why wasn't the password that I copied and pasted saved?

1Password Version: 7.9
Extension Version: 7.8.8
OS Version: Mac OS 11.6

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @lerbi ,

Does this happen on a specific website, or on every website you register to?
    If it happened on a specific website, can you send me the link so that we can test it here?

Also, are you using Safari? Or a different browser? If you're on a different browser, what is the extension's version in it?

• lerbi
    lerbi
    Community Member
    Options

It happens every time that I use the 1Password extension to generate a password. The current version of everything I use was sent with the original message

• ag_chantelle
    edited October 2021
    Options

@lerbi

It sounds like you're running into a bug we've identified where the password being saved doesn't match the password that is shown in the Password Generator. I'll be sure to add your name to the list of users who have encountered this problem and nudge our development team.

In the meantime, I'd recommend using the inline suggested password, in the password field, when registering for a new site. It will look something like this:

image.

Can you confirm that you see an option to select a password directly from the field?

ref: apple-5262

• lerbi
    lerbi
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I do see that.

• Thanks for confirming @lerbi !

If you select that option and subsequently save your Login item, does it save the correct password?

• lerbi
    lerbi
    Community Member
    Options

Yes

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Got it, thank you for the confirmation @lerbi, we have let the developers know :+1:

• lerbi
    lerbi
    Community Member
    Options

It is now March 29, 2022 - 6 MONTHS later! - and this issue remains. What is going on and why hasn't this been fixed??

I am very disappointed in the direction that 1Password is taking and that 1Password seems to be taking its longtime (in my case more than 10 years) Mac users for granted. Getting bigger is not always better and nowadays there are lots of other options out there.

• lerbi
    lerbi
    Community Member
    Options

Hello. Is anyone awake at 1Password? Does anyone care? Sure would appreciate a response to my 29 Mar message (which was sent at 2203 not at 0303)

• Hello @lerbi,

I am sorry for the delayed response. I got your email, and let us continue our conversation there instead.

ref: ICT-54521-923

• Ratilane
    Ratilane
    Community Member
    Options

Checking in July 2022. Bug is still there.

I use memorable type passwords, so the suggested password that appears in the browser is not useful to me unless there's a way to change the type generated.

This discussion has been closed.