Touch ID stops working in Edge after some time when macbook has been used with lid closed

Don't really have a detailed timeline to go along with this, but I have the extension in all my Edge profiles in a fully updated 2019 MBP. I used the machine for a while with the lid closed, and now even with the lid open I can only open 1PW with a password. There might have been a reboot in there somewhere due to an OS update but I'm not sure. 1PW desktop application opens with touch ID no problem.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.9 (70900000) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 2.1.2
OS Version: macOS 11.6

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Ilkka ,

You might simply need to restart 1Password and your browser. Please try this:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit 1Password Completely".
    2. Quit your browser by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open the browser and test if it is working properly.

If the extension still requires your password to unlock, right-click the extension's icon in the browser's toolbar, select "Settings", turn off the "Integrate with 1Password app" option there, then turn it back on and see if that improves things.

In case the issue persists and the above didn't help, we'll need some logs from your computer. Please grab the following:

Send these to support+x@1password.com with a short description of the problem and a link to this discussion here.

• Ilkka
    Ilkka
    Community Member

Yeah, but I think this is at best a workaround. Is there a technical reason why Touch ID should not just start working again after opening the lid?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I'm not certain the lid has anything to do with this issue.

Touch ID will stop working when the extension loses its connection with the desktop app, which can happen for various reasons, including software updates (to 1Password, to the browser, to the extension etc), 3rd party apps that might interfere with the connection or the 1Password background service etc.

The lid should not have any effect on the situation. If you do suspect it is related to the lid, we'll need to find exact steps to reproduce this on demand in order to troubleshoot this.

• Ilkka
    Ilkka
    Community Member

Okay! But then I guess the fact of the matter is that the extension may just not be able to resume the connection to the desktop app by itself, and the only recourse is a restart of either the app, the browser or both? Too bad really.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Ilkka ,

This shouldn't happen constantly nor should it happen too often.
    If you're experiencing this frequently, we should investigate further. However, if this occurs once in a long while (especially if you almost never restart the computer), then it's ok to restart the app/browser to restore the connection every now and then.

In case you're experiencing this often (or constantly), the next time it occurs, grab the following:

Send it to support+x@1password.com alongside a short description of the issue and a link to this discussion here and we'll dive deeper into what exactly might be causing this.

This discussion has been closed.