Mouse scroll wheel stops working

Hello,

From time to time, mouse scroll wheel stops functioning. It happens around twice a day. I have multiple apps open and the mouse scroll stop to work in finder/browser/different apps. It doesn't happen when I'm focused on 1password app.

If I quit apps one by one the mouse wheel isn't working.
If I quit 1password app the mouse wheel immediately works again.

I noticed that 1 password was locked when it happened but I'm not 100% sure about this information yet.

Didn't had this issue with 1password v7

Frederic

1Password Version: 8.2.2-72
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.6

Comments

• @Frederic.C, thanks for providing this feedback. If you find any other examples that might be helpful, please let us know. A couple of quick questions. Do you use Touch ID? Also, do you use the browser extension with integration with 1Password 8 enabled? Thanks!

• FredericC
    FredericC
    Community Member

Hi,

I don't use Touch ID.
    I use Browser extension with multiple browsers open most of the time (Firefox / Safari and sometime Chrome / Edge)
    1Password integration is set to ON on each browser extension settings yes.

Frederic

• K.J._1P
    edited October 2021

@Frederic.C Thank you for the additional details. I have not been able to reproduce the issue, but I did file a bug report in our internal tracker to see if our team can find the issue.

If you discover any actions that seem to trigger the problem, please let us know. Thanks!

ref: dev/core/core#10786

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

I’ve seen that once in a blue moon too lately and couldn’t figure out what was going on! I’ll try quitting 1Password too next time.

Corentin

• AikiMike
    AikiMike
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

@K.J._1P This has happened to me as well and was not sure what was causing it. So it just occurred again, I had the 1PW8 app open in the background and it locked, then the scroll scrolling from the mouse stopped. Based on this thread, I re-logged back into 1PW8 things started back working again. I am using a Logitech MX mouse with the logi+ software on M1 MBP Mac OS Monterey RC.

• FredericC
    FredericC
    Community Member

Yesterday I found something new about this problem. When it occured I switched to 1 password app, found it locked with cursor inside Password field and focused elsewhere outside the password field, it allows me to use the scrollwheel again without quitting the app. It is like if 1password while locking in the background was stealing a part of the pointer focus, kind of strange.
    I'll try to remove the Autolock for more testing

I also have a MX Mouse from Logitech. Of course I tried to kill Logitech Options software and launch but it didn't change anything

Frédéric

• FredericC
    FredericC
    Community Member

Made some more testing.
    I'm now absolutely certain that the scroll wheel freeze using a MX Mouse from Logitech WHEN 1password auto lock in the background.

the problem doesn't occur using Trackpad
    the problem doesn't occur using an alternate mouse
    the problem doesn't occur with 1password7

I tried to uninstall and resintall apps with same result

Way to reproduce :
    1. Having a Logitech Mouse MX type (I have a MX Master 2)
    2. Setting Autolock on 1password8 to a short amount of time (1min)
    3. Going in any app using scroll wheel such as finder / apple apps / browser
    4. Let the autolock getting on (1min)
    5. Scroll is no more responding

Way to get Scroll wheel again :

• Killing 1password app
    • Getting 1password on front an click on it then back on app that require Mousewheel

Frédéric

• Thanks so much for the additional details. I've found an old issue where a very similar problem was happening in 1Password 7. Hopefully looking at the solution there will help our team resolve this in 1Password 8.

Early access users, like yourself, are fantastic. Thanks for the great steps to reproduce.

• efenner
    efenner
    Community Member

Bumping this thread rather than creating a new one. I am running the latest beta and using an MX Master 3. When the cursor is in a text field like the search field (which seems to be the default behavior when launching or unlocking) nothing will scroll with the scroll wheel.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@efenner:

Thank you for the update. I will let the developers know that you are also experiencing this.

• Hi all,

I posted an update on this situation here. For convenience, I'll copy & paste what I said over there:

I hadn't been able to reproduce this for a long time. Then I switched the connection for my MX Master 3 mouse from the RF dongle to Bluetooth (to troubleshoot an unrelated issue) and started seeing the "no scrolling" problem quite regularly. The team made some tweaks based on these findings, and those tweaks are available in the 80600056 nightly build. We would really appreciate it if you could give this build a try and see if the problems with scrolling persist.

Please note that this fix will not fix scrolling while editing an item inside of 1Password, but should help prevent 1Password from blocking scrolling while running in the background, on the lock screen.

To workaround the issue with scrolling while actively using 1Password I would suggest trying the USB RF dongle included with the mouse, rather than connecting via Bluetooth. It seems whatever Logitech is doing to make scrolling work while connected via Bluetooth is incompatible with Secure Input. That isn't something that we would be able to address directly on our end, other than by discontinuing our use of Secure Input (which is a non-starter). Secure Input is one of the important layers of protection 1Password has against key loggers.

Please let us know if the latest nightly build improves this experience for you.

Ben

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

Thanks for the update @Ben

Corentin

• You're welcome! Happy to have finally found the root cause.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.