Quick Access always displays one (specific) entry upon invocation

Weird one to describe, but, I am hoping this is a weird UI issue -- I have command-\ bound to bring up Quick Access.

It pops up just fine, but, somewhere along the way, it has defaulted to ALWAYS showing one specific entry in the results panel even though I have not searched for anything.

The item in the results panel is not a favourite, and there's nothing special about it, but, I would prefer that it was not displayed in the results every single time I start up Quick Access.

Steps to reproduce (for me):

1. Be in any application
  2. Hit command-\
  3. QA appears with "Search 1Password"
  4. Beneath the Search field is the list of results, but, without searching for anything, one specific entry from one of my Vaults is always visible

Note that as soon as I start searching, that "default" result will vanish, unless I'm searching for it of course.

(macOS)

1Password Version: 8.4.0 (80400002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @doetraar, thank you for raising this issue, and for taking the time to describe it in detail! I haven't been able to reproduce it yet, but we'll take a more in-depth look at this shortly to see if we can figure out what might be at issue.

Again, many thanks for letting us know. We'll investigate!

• Hi @doetraar, back again sooner than expected. 👋 It looks like this may actually be Quick Access working as expected. Check out these release notes:

https://releases.1password.com/mac/early-access/#1password-for-mac-8.2.2-80

With this update, 1Password takes context from the apps you have open, so if you happen to have certain apps running consistently when you call upon Quick Access, that might explain why you're seeing a single result returned. Does that sound accurate to your situation?

• doetraar
    doetraar
    Community Member

Ah, right, I think that I see why this would happen -- but it's insanely annoying for my context. It means that a background application, in my case, Backblaze (online backups), is triggering this. I'm NOT running any backups, but, whatever the algorithm is that Quick Access is using to determine what is open and running consistently is using that app, when, preferably, it should not. The client stays running in the menu bar, and backups run on a schedule at a certain time of day.

Quick Access, however, displays Backblaze whenever it runs, no matter what. Would love to see that change, without having to quit Backblaze!

• dacker
    dacker
    Community Member

Is there a way to turn off Quick access when I click the menu bar icon? I don't like it at all

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hey @PeterG_1P !

With this update, 1Password takes context from the apps you have open, so if you happen to have certain apps running consistently when you call upon Quick Access, that might explain why you're seeing a single result returned.

Any plans to bring this into the Windows release of the Early Access? ;)

• @dacker

Is there a way to turn off Quick access when I click the menu bar icon? I don't like it at all

There isn't a way to customize this. Given the choice, what would you have clicking the menu bar icon do instead?

@DenalB

Any plans to bring this into the Windows release of the Early Access?

It is something that is actively being worked on, but we've hit a stumbling block, so I'm not able to make any promises at this point. Definitely on the wish list.

Ben

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Definitely on the wish list.

Sounds good @Ben ! :+1:

• :+1: :)

Ben

• coreygo
    coreygo
    Community Member

Experiencing this as well with 1password-for-mac-8.4.0-53. In my case, the result shown is always for adobe.com. No Adobe software or services are running and I've never used 1P for Adobe apps or services, only to fill in Chrome so the context aware functionality mentioned seems broken. Quick Access wasn't always this way, but I can't tell you on what build this behavior changed from.

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

@Ben I'm experiencing similar issues as @coreygo. Quick Access insists upon showing two websites for me that aren't even open and I haven't visited in months. And the other 4 items listed are based on apps I'm already logged into. This defaulting behavior is simply pointless and creates all sorts of mental friction because I have no idea what it's even trying to do for me. I truly dislike everything about the Quick Access feature as it has neutered the great functionality that existed in 1PW Mini. Honestly I really wish there was an option available so that clicking the menu icon simply launched the main 1PW app at this point.

UPDATE: Never mind. I see the latest build does exactly this. The pointless defaulting behavior has been taken out back to the woodshed. And we can now enter a keyboard shortcut to invoke the main app or Quick Access. Interestingly enough these changes have made me loathe Quick Access considerably less. I might even start to appreciate it.

• Interestingly enough these changes have made me loathe Quick Access considerably less. I might even start to appreciate it.

Thank you, @OAW. We do listen! 😃

• coreygo
    coreygo
    Community Member

Back to empty results in Quick Access with 1password-for-mac-8.5.0-17. Hopefully it remains that way. Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @coreygo!

This discussion has been closed.