Best way to move 4 family members from 1Password 6 to Family

ajahn
ajahn
Community Member

Back in November 2019, I asked about moving from 1Password 6 to Family. At that time, I was worried about some user comments about problems migrating passwords over, so I decided to stick with version 6 for the whole family. I think it might be time to bite the bullet and make the move to the Family plan.

Background: I've been using 1Password since version 3.x. I have 4 family members, my wife, and 2 college-age kids. We all have MacBooks and iPhones. We all use 1P 6. We all use Dropbox to house our 1P key files. My wife and I share the same dropbox setup (to share all our passwords). My wife and son just got new MacBooks. In the past, normally on a new device, I installed dropbox, then 1P, and it would see the database and just set itself up. Today I noticed on my wife's new laptop, that she had a "trial" account.

Anyway, let me get to the point. I want to try out the Family plan, first for my wife and myself. Do I try the 14 day trial? Will it let me migrate my data from dropbox? Are the new passwords stored in the cloud? I'm pretty sure that I want to move to the Family plan. Should I just pay for it (skip the trial version)? Will that be easier and more full featured? Once I set myself up, will I just invite my wife? Will all our passwords be in the new environment? Next I will invite one son to join. Will it be smart enough to see his passwords in his drop box and migrate them to the account? What happens on his iPhone? Will he get the invite on all his devices? What about my other son on his new MB Pro, where he hasn't installed 1P yet? Does it prompt him to download and install 1P? Will we be getting 1P 7?

Sorry for all the questions, but I tend to over research things before making the move. I really want this new setup, but want to make sure all my old passwords, etc, are moved over. I use 1P for a ton of stuff (credit cars, secure notes, identities, passwords). Will they all get copied over?

One last wrinkle, I still have an old iMac running El Capitan. Will the Family plan work there? All our other macs are running High Sierra and my son's new one is on Big Sur. Will I have issues with our setup?

Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 3 different versions

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ajahn!

Anyway, let me get to the point. I want to try out the Family plan, first for my wife and myself. Do I try the 14 day trial?

Yes :+1:

Will it let me migrate my data from dropbox?

Yes:

Migrate your existing 1Password data from standalone vaults to a 1Password account

Are the new passwords stored in the cloud?

Yes.

I'm pretty sure that I want to move to the Family plan. Should I just pay for it (skip the trial version)? Will that be easier and more full featured?

You get all of the features of a Families account even during a trial, even before you pay, so no need to pay earlier :)

Once I set myself up, will I just invite my wife?

Correct:

Add and remove family members

Will all our passwords be in the new environment?

Yes, after the migration you will have all your data on 1Password.com.

Next I will invite one son to join. Will it be smart enough to see his passwords in his drop box and migrate them to the account?

He can follow the same instructions that I shared above to migrate his own data:

Migrate your existing 1Password data from standalone vaults to a 1Password account

What happens on his iPhone?

After migrating the data to 1Password.com, he just needs to login to the same 1Password account on all his other devices:

How to add your 1Password account to the apps

Will he get the invite on all his devices?

He will get the invite to his email address.

What about my other son on his new MB Pro, where he hasn't installed 1P yet? Does it prompt him to download and install 1P? Will we be getting 1P 7?

He can download 1Password 7 first, install it, and then proceed with the same steps.

One last wrinkle, I still have an old iMac running El Capitan. Will the Family plan work there? All our other macs are running High Sierra and my son's new one is on Big Sur. Will I have issues with our setup?

El Capitan will be a problem: 1Password 7 requires at least macOS 10.13 to work:

System requirements for 1Password

As long as your other devices are already at least on macOS 10.13, you won't have issues with your setup :)

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana
    Thanks for all this info. I will check it out. I have a question about my iMac still on El Capitan. Will I not be able to use the family plan on that computer? I currently use 1Password 6 there and it works. Does Family require 7? I have been planning to upgrade it, but just haven't gotten around to it. We all have laptops so we don't use that mac much anymore, so I guess we could continue to use the old version w/Dropbox. What do you think?

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

Hi again. I was reading that I need to install 1password 7 before migrating data to the Family account on my Mac. I still have version 6 there. But I just realized I am running 1password 7.9 on my iPhone. Would it be easier to do the data migration there? Can I sign up for a Family account on my mac, wait for the email, then open the email on my phone and migrate the data there? After that, I can download 7 on the mac and just log in. I guess all the data would then be available? When you log into your new Family account do I do that in a browser or the app? Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn:

Does Family require 7?

It requires at least 1Password 6.6, so you can use it there too. Although should something go wrong, our recommendation would be to just try again on 1Password 7 since 1Password 6 has not been updated in a few years now.

Can I sign up for a Family account on my mac, wait for the email, then open the email on my phone and migrate the data there?

Yes, you can do that too :+1:

I guess all the data would then be available?

Correct :+1:

When you log into your new Family account do I do that in a browser or the app?

You do that in the app, unless you need to access your data in a browser, in which case you would login in a browser :+1:

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

I'm using 1Password 6 Version 6.8.9 (689001) AgileBits Store on my MacBook. But like I said, on my iPhone, I see version 7.6. What do you think?

Also, do I sign up for the free trial on the 1password website? Once I sign up for the free trial to Family, can I go back to the old way if I don't like it? (I'm sure I will like it, but just wondering)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn:

I'm using 1Password 6 Version 6.8.9 (689001) AgileBits Store on my MacBook. But like I said, on my iPhone, I see version 7.6. What do you think?

This is not a problem, although we recommend updating to the latest version of 1Password if possible.

Also, do I sign up for the free trial on the 1password website?

You can do that from here: https://1password.com/sign-up/

Once I sign up for the free trial to Family, can I go back to the old way if I don't like it? (I'm sure I will like it, but just wondering)

Yes, you can go back if you wish :)

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana
    Sorry for all the questions... I really appreciate your patience! Can you please clear this up? When I see:

"Sign in to your account on 1Password.com, and 1Password will ask if you want to add your new account to the app. Click Add Account."

Am I signing in to the web or to my local application on my device? I'm a little hazy on the differences. I realize that I use the website to sign up for the Family membership, but still hazy when it comes to the migration of old data. Does the migration come after I sign up and receive the first email? Since I am the one creating the account (Family membership), will I get an email just like others that I will invite?

• Hi @ajahn:

Am I signing in to the web or to my local application on my device?

You'll sign in to 1Password.com on the web, and you will then be prompted if you would like to add this new account to the app.

Does the migration come after I sign up and receive the first email?

After you have added your 1Password account to the 1Password app on your device, then you'll follow the migration steps Ana mentioned above.

Since I am the one creating the account (Family membership), will I get an email just like others that I will invite?

You won't receive an invitation email, only new family members receive an invitation email when they're added to the 1Password account.

Jack

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

NEVER MIND. I found what I was looking for.

Here is something I just thought of...
    Currently, my wife and I share the same 1Passowrd data vault using Dropbox. This way, we can both see each other's passwords. Our kids have their own vaults (also using Dropbox) but they don't share ours. I like the idea of having a "shared" vault for things like Netflix, Wifi, etc., passwords, but can you create other shared vaults so my wife and I can still keep all our passwords shared? I don't want the kids to see the passwords that my wife and I share. How is this done with Family membership?

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

You can create as many vaults on the family account as you like, then give access rights for every family member individually for each of the vaults to either read, read/write or no access at all.

So as an example, you can create a vault you and your wife get read+write access but no access to your children, and another vault you and your wife get read+write access and your children read access for items you want to share with your children but they should not be able to change themselves. There is also a pre-existing default vault called "Shared", this is a hardcoded vault where everyone has full access (read+write), so even your children are able to manage things in it.

Keep in mind every family member also has his own hardcoded "Personal" vault nobody except himself is able to view, so you don't need to create vaults with the intention to give only one person access: this is already built in.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@ajahn Sharing is the main reason I use 1Password Families. Sharing permissions are managed at the vault level.
    When you invite someone to join your 1Password family they will get their own private vault which no one else can access and they will be able to see a default shared vault. The latter can be accessed by everyone in the family and the permissions cannot be edited, so you might want to use this for Netflix, wifi, etc.
    In addition, you can create vaults to be shared by any sub-set of the family. For example you can have a shared vault each for parents, son1, daughter1, son1+daughter1 and everyone. Only the family organizers can give themselves permission to access the vaults which are not explicitly shared with them. You might want to have more than one family organizer as they can help recover someone's account if they get locked out.
    https://support.1password.com/create-share-vaults/

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

@Tertius3 and @rootzero, thank you for your information. I generally over research stuff before making the change, but from everything I've been reading, the Family plan sounds like a winner. I'm real close... :-)

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

@ajahn Research is good, but nothing is better than own experience, so my approach to something new is to first do a little bit of research and reading the documentation to get an idea what it is about, then just do it and perform trial & error to see what I can accomplish. And then I do research again to find out if I missed something or if I just did it the intended way.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn:

Let us know if you have any more questions :)

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

One more complicated question(s).

Right now, my wife and I share the same account by sharing the same "1Password.agilekeychain" file in Dropbox so we both use the same account and master password, and have access to everything in a single vault. It requires us to always install Dropbox first (on new devices) and then install the 1Password app. We see every password, etc., that we each add. When I move to the Family membership, if we each migrate our data we will end up with duplicate items in each of our private vaults. I just looked and I currently have 869 in "All items" (yikes). I was looking over all the items last night and there are many that appear to be duplicates and many that are out of date. I would love to take the opportunity to clean things up as I move to the Family membership.

Here's what I'm thinking. Do I sign up for Family and migrate everything first, then maybe create a "temp" or "cleanup" vault and move all the dups, old, unknown items there just to save them off? Then create a shared vault for just me and my wife and move all the stuff we currently share there? There are a few items that she will probably want to have in her own private vault. Is it easier for her to migrate all the current items into her private vault and delete everything except the few personal items she needs, or maybe I can do that for her and create yet another share to put those in there and she can then move just a few items to her private vault? In other words, she would NOT migrate her data, since I've already done that and cleaned things up. I know this is more than just one question, but I think it is really the last big question in my mind. What are your thoughts?

And finally, I see that I currently have 141 items in my trash. Will those get migrated? Should I empty the trash before I migrate?

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn:

Here's what I'm thinking. Do I sign up for Family and migrate everything first, then maybe create a "temp" or "cleanup" vault and move all the dups, old, unknown items there just to save them off?

I would not create a separate vault for this, I would just use the Archive feature, it's build exactly for these things that you want to save.

Then create a shared vault for just me and my wife and move all the stuff we currently share there?

A Families account comes with a Shared vault by default, so you can use that right away if you wish.

There are a few items that she will probably want to have in her own private vault. Is it easier for her to migrate all the current items into her private vault and delete everything except the few personal items she needs, or maybe I can do that for her and create yet another share to put those in there and she can then move just a few items to her private vault?

If you moved all of your items to the Shared vault already, it's easier at that point to let her move the ones she need to the Private vault from the Shared vault.

In other words, she would NOT migrate her data, since I've already done that and cleaned things up.

Correct :+1:

And finally, I see that I currently have 141 items in my trash. Will those get migrated?

Yes.

Should I empty the trash before I migrate?

Only if you do not want those items to migrate.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

@ag_ana,
    I plan to use the shared vault for the whole family (wife, me, and kids), so I will need to create another vault that only my wife and I share, but I get it. You mentioned the "archive feature". Is that available on the version I currently have? I've just been deleting stuff.

One other thing I thought of and maybe you know. How does a browser extension (Chrome for example) work when you have several vaults? When you go to a site and click the 1passoword icon at the top, will it look in all available vaults automatically? Say I have my Amazon password in my shared vault and my 401K site password in my private vault, will the extension figure that out? If I change a password will 1Password figure out where to go to update it (which vault)? I assume it must work this way, but just want to be sure I don't have to select a vault manually.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@ajahn In the extension settings you can choose which vaults it searches for matching logins. Go to 1Password extension icon->Settings->Settings and select the vaults that you want it to search within. By default, all the vaults you have access to are selected.
    When changing a password, it usually offers to update the matching login when you click on the prompt to use the suggested password or click on Save in 1Password. If instead it offers to create a new login, you can tell it to update an existing login instead and it usually finds the correct one.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn:

You mentioned the "archive feature". Is that available on the version I currently have? I've just been deleting stuff.

It will be available after you update to a Membership. The Archive feature basically replaces the old Trash.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

I see it on my iPhone (since I'm running v7 there).

Another question: How does the Family membership work on a mac that is shared (my wife and I each have a separate account on our iMac). We currently each have our own 1Passoword using Dropbox for each account. I assume Family will be the same? Just use the same 1Password application (in the Applications folder) but each log in to our individual membership accounts?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn:

Yes, you can add one 1Password account to the 1Password app in the first profile, and the other account to the 1Password app in the second profile :+1:

This discussion has been closed.