To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1Password Family Memberships have an unfair limitation....

mia
mia
Community Member

@Jeff Shiner

I was very early on one of those brave souls who were adding files to my 1Password v3-4 vaults while AgleBits support scratched their heads as to why I would do such a thing. Now I see this article: I just read this article: https://support.1password.com/files/ ...and it pleases me greatly to see your company finally understanding that document protection is as critical (if not more!) than passwords. I am always early to the game and ahead of others.

The 1GB limitations on Family subscriptions is really unfair as the user is paying $5 a month while an individual pays $3 and gets the same amount of storage. This seriously needs to be looked at and a revised. A more equitable distribution would be 3GB of space for up 5 people + 1 GB for every 1 person (+$1) added to the family.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• mia
    mia
    Community Member

Also, how does the Family Organizer find out how much space everyone is using so that they don't skirt the limit?

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

I have to agree with @Jeff Shiner that 1G for the whole family is pretty small. Maybe AgleBits will update that (say 2GB?).

I do have a question about where these files are stored. Are they ever synced to a family member's device (without first downloading it)? And if so, where is synced data stored on iPhone and Mac?

Secondly, the article talks about creating a "Document" item for that file/image. Can you still attach an image of the file to another item like a scan of your SS card to your social security item or a CC picture to your credit card item? Is that different than the documents item?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2021

Hi folks,

Thanks for the feedback on this. I've filed a request for consideration for increasing the amount of storage available within 1Password Families memberships. Additionally we do not have a place in the interface to show how much storage is used. Hopefully that'll be something we can offer going forward.

I do have a question about where these files are stored. Are they ever synced to a family member's device (without first downloading it)? And if so, where is synced data stored on iPhone and Mac?

As things stand files must be manually downloaded on each device before they can be viewed, with the exception of the device the file was added to 1Password from.

Secondly, the article talks about creating a "Document" item for that file/image. Can you still attach an image of the file to another item like a scan of your SS card to your social security item or a CC picture to your credit card item? Is that different than the documents item?

This functionality is available in 1Password 8 (currently in Early Access), but not in 1Password 7. What is available in 1Password 7 is the ability to link related items. So you could, for example, upload a scan of your social security card as a Document and link to that Document item from your Social Security item.

I hope that helps!

Ben

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#992

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

@Ben,

As things stand files must be manually downloaded on each device before they can be viewed, with the exception of the device the file was added to 1Password from.

Wait, so if I add a document that I want my whole family to have access to, are you saying that only I can see it because I added it from my computer?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2021

@ajahn:

No, everyone can see it if you share it with others. They will just have to download it first.

On the device that you used to add the file, you won't need to download it instead, since you have the file already.

• mia
    mia
    Community Member

@Ben Thank you! Ideally 5GB (5 x 1GB each person) would be the fair thing to do, but I would understand 3 GB as well.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome :)

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    edited October 2021

So back to the documents... Say I have a "Drivers Licenses" item for my son. We scan his driver's license and upload it to 1Password as a Document. Then we link that document (picture) to his license item. When my wife looks in 1Password and looks at his driver's license item, does she see an indicator that an attached document is there? If she clicks on it, what happens? Does it automatically download to her iPhone or computer (whatever device she is on) and then display the picture? Or does it ask her if she wants to download it? Once downloaded, is it secure on her device? Where is it stored on her device? Can she only see it from 1Password? The next time she clicks on the attachment picture in 1Password, does it remember and just show it, or does it try to download it again?

• @ajahn

So back to the documents... Say I have a "Drivers Licenses" item for my son. We scan his driver's license and upload it to 1Password as a Document. Then we link that document (picture) to his license item. When my wife looks in 1Password and looks at his driver's license item, does she see an indicator that an attached document is there?

Yes. It would look something like this, depending on what version of 1Password and platform she is on (this is 1Password 7 for iOS):

If she clicks on it, what happens?

It would take her from the Driver License item to the Document item.

Does it automatically download to her iPhone or computer (whatever device she is on) and then display the picture? Or does it ask her if she wants to download it?

The latter. :)

Once downloaded, is it secure on her device? Where is it stored on her device? Can she only see it from 1Password? The next time she clicks on the attachment picture in 1Password, does it remember and just show it, or does it try to download it again?

These answers vary quite a bit depending on which device and version of 1Password she is using. With 1Password 7 for iOS encrypted file is downloaded to a secure location that is only accessible to the 1Password app. When the item is previewed, it is decrypted. When the app is locked, that decrypted preview is cleaned up. The encrypted version is kept in the app's cache, so once downloaded it doesn't have to be downloaded on that device again. The preview does indeed happen within the 1Password app itself in this case, but again could be different on different devices/versions.

We scan his driver's license and upload it to 1Password as a Document.

With 1Password 7, the download step would be skipped on the device the Document was created from, as that device would already have the Document cached as part of the creation process.

Ben

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

@Ben,
    Thank you for your great explanations. For our family, we all have 1Phones and MacBooks. So those would be "our" devices. We plan to be using 1Password 7 (although right now we are using 6 on our macs and 7 on our iPhones).

Is there a documents section in each vault? If I want to share driver's licenses with the whole family, would I scan the picture and upload it to the "shared" vault's documents section, and then reference it in the license item also in the "shared" vault? I assume both the document and the reference item need to be in the same vault?

My plan is to set the family up as follows: everyone has their private vault and the "shared" vault. For my wife and me, I will create a new vault that only she and I share. Since we are currently sharing everything by using Dropbox, this makes the most sense to me. Keep most everything in this other shared vault, but for our individual work-related stuff, and put that in our private vaults. I'm looking forward to this new setup.

• @ajahn

Is there a documents section in each vault?

Documents are an item category just like Logins or Secure Notes. Items of these categories can be created in any vault.

If I want to share driver's licenses with the whole family, would I scan the picture and upload it to the "shared" vault's documents section, and then reference it in the license item also in the "shared" vault? I assume both the document and the reference item need to be in the same vault?

Yes, that's exactly correct.

My plan is to set the family up as follows: everyone has their private vault and the "shared" vault.

This part is done automatically for you out of the box. There is a built-in Shared vault which all family members have access to, and then everyone you invite who creates an account within your membership will also get their own Personal vault, which only they can see. From there additional vaults can be created and shared as desired.

Add and remove family members

For my wife and me, I will create a new vault that only she and I share. Since we are currently sharing everything by using Dropbox, this makes the most sense to me.

That makes sense to me as well. :) You can learn how to create and share such a vault here:

Create and share vaults

Keep most everything in this other shared vault, but for our individual work-related stuff, and put that in our private vaults.

Sounds like you've got the right idea. :+1:

I'm looking forward to this new setup.

So glad to hear it. :)

Ben

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Hi @Ben
    Are all the items in the family "shared" out-of-box vault editable/deletable by everyone in the family? If so, I guess I can create another family sharable vault and only allow the kids read-only access? I may be overthinking it :-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn:

Are all the items in the family "shared" out-of-box vault editable/deletable by everyone in the family?

Yes.

If so, I guess I can create another family sharable vault and only allow the kids read-only access?

You certainly can:

Create and share vaults

This discussion has been closed.