Is it possible to add 6 digit Authy token in 1Password?

Options

I am using Sendgrid (by Twilio) and Sendgrid requires mandatory 2FA using Twilio's own Authy app.

The problem here is that Sendgrid does not display any QR or text code. Instead, it asks the user to enter their mobile number registered with Authy account. After entering the mobile number, the user receives an SMS as well as in-app notification to enable 2FA for the respective website.

Besides, the TOTP generated by Authy is 7 digits long. This also applies to all the sites who have integrated Authy 2FA. Please refer to the screenshot below:

I wanted to know that is it possible to add Authy token in 1Password, especially when there is no QR or text code displayed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

Some additional background for those coming across this thread. Authy supports two types of 2FA token: Authenticator Tokens which are industry standard and can be set-up using a QR code or manual entry shared secret; Authy Tokens which are proprietary, supporting custom 7 digit passcodes and push notifications.

@aloksharma Authy Tokens are provisioned directly between the service provider and Twilio based on your mobile phone number. If you have an account with a service provider that uses Twilio's backend 2FA solution then these tokens can be added to your Authy app without any action on your part. If the phone number on that account is the same as the one you use for Authy and the website has verified that phone number then the Authy Token can be added directly to your app.
    If you have installed Authy on more than one device then they will each be provisioned with a different shared secret for a given Authy Token. So the Authy Tokens given to devices which are subsequently lost can be invalidated without setting-up 2FA again on the remaining devices.

To cut a long story short, 1Password can take the place of Authenticator Tokens, but not Authy Tokens.

• aloksharma
    aloksharma
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, @rootzero ,

Yes, I am aware about Authy's two different 2FA methods. It's just that I am trying to figure out a way if such tokens can be added in 1Password.

It's only for the sake of convenience so that I don't have to open the Authy app, find the respective token, copy the TOTP code, and finally paste it on the website.

Long ago, I had enabled 2FA in Cloudflare using Authy's proprietary 2FA, but quickly realized that I was limited to Authy app only. So I undid it and re-enabled 2FA using the generic method.

Unfortunately, Sendgrid does not allow enabling 2FA using the generic method and instead enforces all its users to mandatorily use the Authy app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aloksharma:

This doesn't seem to be possible at the moment unfortunately. Please see this forum discussion for some more details.

• aloksharma
    aloksharma
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana ,

I think there is something really strange. When I searched in this forum on Authy, it revealed no topics, and hence I made this post.

Anyway, thanks for the update.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aloksharma:

No worries, it can happen. I have just checked now and the search displays both discussions:

So perhaps they just needed some time :+1:

This discussion has been closed.