change login's password

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Brand new to 1Password. I've set up 10 logins. Now I want to change one of the passwords on a login. I'm following the documentation: Changing a Login’s Password. Everything is fine until I get to this step:[/font]

• Click Save and the 1Password AutoSave Bar should ask if you want to save this Login (OK)

• Click the gear menu, mouse to the ‘Replace Existing Login’ section, and click the relevant Login you want to update with this new password.

I do not see a gear menu on the AutoSave bar. This should be very easy to do, but I've messed with it for an hour with no luck. What am I overlooking?

thanks

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, spduffens!

Sadly, there is no gear button in Chrome. Is that the issue for you? Please see the support article here:

http://support.agilebits.com/kb/browser-extensions/how-to-update-a-logins-password

The gear button will be in the autosave prompt in the Safari and Firefox extension.

20120608-j2u9nj18atamsy9aypb4i33gmp.png

20120608-1iuua1e2n5fha4bfyf8nym8hbd.png
    Please let me know how it goes.
  • spduffens
    spduffens
    Community Member
    Thanks Khad. I came up with the same method as outlined in the link above.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Awesome! Glad you were able to sort it out. We are very much looking to improve this in an update. I don't have a time frame for a specific release, but it is definitely on our radar. :)
  • Hi! I've read the tutorial and this other forum topic, but I'm still stuck. First of all, disabling the auto-fill is very awkward, because it requires four mouse clicks. Second, there is no "Fill Last Generated Password" button.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, JayVee. In the forum thread to which you linked is the link to the current guide for updating passwords. It is the same link I provided above. Please follow the instructions here:

http://support.agilebits.com/kb/browser-extensions/how-to-update-a-logins-password

I'm sorry for any confusion. We need to update the information in the User Guide.

To fill a previously generated password click the "View password history" button in the generator while viewing the site's login page. Your most recently generated password will be at the top of the list. Click on the generated password to fill it on the login page.

20120823-5bdgsxre9kw4t7jdx8b3x57h8.png
    I'm not sure what you mean by "disabling the auto-fill is very awkward, because it requires four mouse clicks." What autofill are you disabling and why? I'd love to help.
  • Hi khad,

I found the password history in the app, which helped me out.

Regarding disabling auto-fill, step 7 in the tutorial reads
    Click the 1Password button again, disable the Auto-Submit Logins option temporarily, and use 1Password to fill in the username.

First, it's auto-submit, not auto-fill - my bad!

What I meant is that to do this, you need to open 1Password, go to Preferences / Logins, and uncheck "automatically submit logins" - that's four clicks.

I agree that the tutorial needs to be updated, that would make this a lot better.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Yeah, I would ignore that link you keep posting and use the one that I keep posting instead. :)

How To: Update a Login's Password

We will work on updating the link you posted. Again, sorry for any confusion.

If you do need to disable autosubmit temporarily, you can do so with a single click on the "Fill and Submit Login" header. This will toggle it to simply "Fill Login" (note the lack of "Submit"). This is a very quick and easy way to toggle autosubmit globally on the fly.

20111102-jgu99ptuifnxf1ahc92r7c9uts.png20111102-rh8kxcyg7n9wkjb6dqmqpsjus9.png

I hope that helps. Please let let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.