Trying to make Masked Email work

jbrayton
jbrayton
Community Member
edited September 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,

I am excited about the Masked Email functionality, but I am having trouble making it work. I am using Safari for Mac. When I go to the signup form for LinkedIn and select the Email field, I get a menu that prompts me to select either a LinkedIn email/password, one of my identities, or Suggestions. If I select Suggestions I get these options: Logins, Identities, Credit Cards, Generated Password. I did link my 1Password account to my Fastmail account. Is there something else I need to do to get this option?

Thanks.

John

1Password Version: 7.8.7
Extension Version: 7.8.7
OS Version: macOS 11.6

Comments

• Hi @jbrayton:

For Safari, the Fastmail integration requires the 1Password for Safari extension. That extension does not integrate with 1Password 7. It can either operate with your 1Password membership separately from the app, or it can integrate with 1Password 8 for Mac Early Access.

Jack

• jbrayton
    jbrayton
    Community Member

Thank you, @jack.platten. I did not know about the separate 1Password for Safari extension. I installed that and disabled the 1Password 7 extension. Now clicking the 1Password button in an email field lets me choose one of my current email addresses. I still don't see a Masked Email option. What else could I be missing?

John

• @jbrayton:

Can you try going to a site and following the registration flow, instead of the change email flow? Right now, 1Password is only suggesting masked emails when creating new accounts, rather than changing emails, however there is a request filed to add the ability to update existing accounts to use a masked email, so I'll add your voice to the issue. :smile:

Jack

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#933

• jbrayton
    jbrayton
    Community Member

Hi @jack.platten. I went to the registration flows for LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and The Washington Post. The LinkedIn form is the one All I see in the newer Safari extension menu is my email addresses. I also installed the 1Password Early Access and looked on my.1password.com. Except for the ability to link to a Fastmail account from my.1password.com (which I did), I can't find any hint of an ability to generate a masked email address.

John

• Hi @jbrayton, would you mind trying 1Password in the browser in a different browser on your Mac if you have one installed?

I wasn't able to replicate this behavior using the sites you mentioned using Chrome and 1Password in the browser, so I'd just like to see if this is unique to Safari for you, or happening across all your browsers.

Thanks!

• jbrayton
    jbrayton
    Community Member

I see the same with Chrome. I attached a screenshot with my email addresses partially blocked out.

John

• Hi @jbrayton,

Thanks for checking that for me. Would you mind trying something else for me? --

1. Disable the integration in Fastmail by selecting "Review access" in the 1Password row, then "Remove access": https://www.fastmail.com/settings/masked
    2. Disable the integration in 1Password, by selecting the Fastmail entry, then "Deactivate Fastmail" : https://my.1password.com/integrations/active
    3. Enable the integration in Fastmail: https://www.fastmail.com/settings/masked
    4. After signing in to 1Password again to confirm the integration, verify that your Fastmail email address is shown in the Integration directory again: https://my.1password.com/integrations/active

At this point, the option for "Create masked email" should be visible on the LinkedIn sign up page you've provided.

Jack

• jbrayton
    jbrayton
    Community Member

That worked. Thank you, @jack.platten!

• Glad to hear that resolved it for you @jbrayton! :chuffed:

• sddawson
    sddawson
    Community Member

Can I also clear something up here? I’m running the standard 1P extension in Safari. Does this mean I should uninstall that extension, and install the different one mentioned above, even though I’m using 1P v7? What are the ramifications of doing that? Is it just that the extension is no longer linked to the desktop app, so needs to be unlocked separately etc?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @sddawson ,

You don't need to uninstall the current extension, just disable it in Safari's preferences and install "1Password for Safari" from the Mac App Store.
    The ramifications are exactly what you thought - you will have to unlock the extension separately from the desktop app (with your password, not Touch ID).

• sddawson
    sddawson
    Community Member

Ok thanks @ag_yaron. I might wait for 1Password 8. I rather like touch ID for unlocking!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good :)

• valdesan
    valdesan
    Community Member

this works in some websites but not in others. how do I make it work in the ones that im not offered a mask email option? here is an example of where I can't get it to work https://profile.theguardian.com/

• @valdesan

We've been tracking sites where the masked email feature is not being presented, as expected. I'll be sure to add theguardian.com to the list of sites affected by this. In the meantime, the best way to achieve this is to create a masked email directly from Fastmail and pasting it into the fields. I realize this is not ideal, but should allow you to change your contact info for the guardian.com accordingly.

• rothaar
    rothaar
    Community Member

I had the same problem and this solved it for me, thank you! It works in Vivaldi, Firefox, and Chrome. I'm still on 1Password 7 so no joy with Safari but thats fine for me.

Is there any way we can nominate pages that don't behave as expected more efficiently than this thread? :) Also, it would be nice if this could be used easily for 'subscribe' fields, not just 'sign up' fields. Generally it seems over exposing the masked email generator rather than under seems best.

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member

While I appreciate 1Password keeping an internal list of sites that don't trigger the masked password prompt, I feel that's only part of the solution. We really need in-app (browser extensions, desktop, etc.) the ability to generate a masked email independently of what, if any fields, 1Password detects on the current web page.

• @rothaar -

This thread is a great place to continue, if you're comfortable with doing so. You can also send them to us at support+x@1password.com. :+1:

@TravelSD -

I couldn't agree more. It would be extremely valuable to be able to automatically generate a masked email (similar to generating a password) directly from 1Password in the browser. While I can't say for sure when this will be available, I can assure you this feature request is on our development team's radar. I'll be sure to add your voice to the list of users who would like to see this happen. :smile:

• thomasoatman
    thomasoatman
    Community Member

Wow! I wish the Evernote team was as forthcoming and responsive. Thank you Team Members for caring about us little guys hehehehehe

I am super excited about the Fastmail product and integration. I have been okay happy with Apple's HideMyEmail but there are some holes in that...
    I have used 1Password for years now (since it come about?) on Windows.... but I've been lunged into the Mac world so maybe I'm doing something wrong....
    I tried it out with GitHub, LinkedIn and LastPass (hehehehe) and it worked beautifully.
    One place that did not work is https://www.peacocktv.com/freesignup

Until there is better integration/support for the general case, are there suggestions for making it work best for sites that don't work well yet? I tried to create a login manually with a Fastmail addr in an email field. 1P did not offer the Block option.
    So I tried to create a login on a new site (TMDB) where the "Create Masked" option is available; but I created manually on Fastmail site and pasted in. 1P saved the info, but does not offer the Block option like it does if I created the email addr using 1P itself. (I think I was using Chrome for that. I can test on Safari if needed; but I sure like Chrome.)

BTW. In the past year or two, I've noticed 1P being far better at auto-suggesting/saving/updating... Thank you :-) And thanks for bringing back the integration of Browser/Tray app.

• thomasoatman
    thomasoatman
    Community Member

Wow! I wish the Evernote team was as forthcoming and responsive. Thank you Team Members for caring about us little guys hehehehehe

I am super excited about the Fastmail product and integration. I have been okay happy with Apple's HideMyEmail but there are some holes in that...
    I have used 1Password for years now (since it come about?) on Windows.... but I've been lunged into the Mac world so maybe I'm doing something wrong....
    I tried it out with GitHub, LinkedIn and LastPass (hehehehe) and it worked beautifully.
    One place that did not work is https://www.peacocktv.com/freesignup

Until there is better integration/support for the general case, are there suggestions for making it work best for sites that don't work well yet? I tried to create a login manually with a Fastmail addr in an email field. 1P did not offer the Block option.
    So I tried to create a login on a new site (TMDB) where the "Create Masked" option is available; but I created manually on Fastmail site and pasted in. 1P saved the info, but does not offer the Block option like it does if I created the email addr using 1P itself. (I think I was using Chrome for that. I can test on Safari if needed; but I sure like Chrome.)

Oh. And I tried searching for 'fastmail' in the browser extensions -- it found the entry I created the 'official' way; but not the ones I added manually. Didn't there used to be an option to 'search all fields' ?

BTW. In the past year or two, I've noticed 1P being far better at auto-suggesting/saving/updating... Thank you :-) And thanks for bringing back the integration of Browser/Tray app.

• Hi @thomasoatman:

Glad to hear you're enjoying Masked Emails so much!

As you've noticed, 1Password can only detect the connection with Fastmail and offer to disable the email address if it's been generated from within 1Password in the browser.

Additionally, I was able to replicate Peacock not offering to create a Masked Email there, and it is something we're tracking, and I've added your feedback to the issue.

To confirm, are you using fastmail.com as your Masked Email domain? I was able to manually generate a Masked Email on Fastmail and enter it manually into an item, and searching for Fastmail showed this test item:

Let me know!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#7056

• thomasoatman
    thomasoatman
    Community Member

Yes - seems if the searched-for word is in the Title or Username, it finds it. But I have the 'fastmail' text in the/an email field and username is something else.
    I see 1P is updated today to 2.2.3 in Chrome 97.0.4692.99 . . . . .

Here we see the Extension not showing all 6 entries:

Here is everything -- seen from the 1P7 app on MacBook:

That one finds all the entries....

• Hey @thomasoatman:

Thanks for clarifying. 1Password in the browser uses a slightly different search engine/algorithm than 1Password for Mac, which is where you're seeing the difference here. It looks like in the example Login "Somewhere", you've stored the Masked Email address in the notes field, which 1Password in the browser currently does not search. If your TMDB example is set up the same way, that's likely the cause of it not showing up there as well. Let me know if that's the case, and I can dig into it further with you!

Jack

• thomasoatman
    thomasoatman
    Community Member

Hi Jack.
    Not in Notes. 'Somewhere' was made by hand. But the TMDB entry was completely made by the extension. Both are using an email field:

ugg. I did not realize (or forgot) that the extension is not searching ALL fields. (did it used to have an option to include all?)
    That can be frustrating.
    I sure hope the '1P for Safari' extension does -- that is meant to allow access without the desktop app -- right?

• Hi @thomasoatman:

Thanks for clarifying this, and I was able to replicate what's going on here now. The short version is if there's a Masked Email, but not a username field, searching for the Masked Email will work. Adding a username changes the way we store some item details, and as such the email address is no longer in a field 1Password in the browser searches for, which is why you're running into issues searching for your TheMovieDB item which does have a username. I can definitely see how this is annoying (as someone with more than a few Masked Emails myself), so I've added your feedback to the issue we have on this, and hopefully we can improve the experience in the future.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#10391

This discussion has been closed.