1Password 8 Search Function

anyspecial2012
anyspecial2012
Community Member

1Password 8
There is a problem with the keyword search function, and all relevant information cannot be found when keyword is entered in the search box(there is missing information)

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10

Comments

• Hello @anyspecial2012, thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have added your comments to our internal discussion about the search function. Thank you very much for adding this to the ongoing improvement process!

• AIT404
    AIT404
    Community Member

I have also found the search function to be really bad compared to 1Password 7 for Windows.
    It doesn't bring in all keywords listed within the actual 'Items'.

Another two issues that my staff literally will not move to 1Password 8 for Windows without:
    1. It does not highlight the keywords that have been searched. We have some items that have many sections/entries. Without this, it takes sometimes minutes just to find what we're looking for because the searched keyword isn't highlighted.
    2. You cannot move entries within an item up or down.

I'm not sure why the functionality for these was removed, but it makes our lives harder and seems very easy from a software development POV.

• PeterG_1P
    edited March 2022

HI @AIT404,

Thanks for your feedback here, and I'm sorry to learn that this has been your experience. To acknowledge your points specifically:

First, we're definitely interested in further improving the search feature. I have added your comments here to our discussion around that design, and that's an ongoing area of work here at 1Password. Moving on...

It does not highlight the keywords that have been searched. We have some items that have many sections/entries. Without this, it takes sometimes minutes just to find what we're looking for because the searched keyword isn't highlighted.

I can see why that would be useful. I have likewise filed a request for a highlighting feature to make finding data within an item easier on your behalf as well.

You cannot move entries within an item up or down.

This is a request we've heard quite a bit in the forums, and one that our developers are aware of. While I can't promise anything in advance (we announce features and fixes as they're released, rather than before - going with the philosophy of 'under-promise, over-deliver'), we do recognize that a lot of folks are telling us that they'd get value from this option.

I'm not sure why the functionality for these was removed, but it makes our lives harder and seems very easy from a software development POV.

I hope this doesn't come across as nitpicking, but there were no features removed from 1Password 8 - essentially every aspect of the app was built from the ground up. Of course, I believe I understand what you're getting at here (some things were present in version 7, and aren't (yet) in version 8) - but from an engineering and design perspective, it actually is a big difference. 1Password 7 was the result of a long and iterative period of development, and we've set ourselves the task of not only meeting that standard but exceeding it, across platforms. We're well on our way - but it is true that there are aspects of the app that are more mature in version 7 than they currently are in version 8. It won't stay that way, though. We're building and improving and tweaking all the time - and feedback like yours is critical to the process!

We do get a lot of questions like "Why is thing X not implemented yet? It seems like it wouldn't be that hard." But we're balancing a lot of priorities, and to be honest, a lot of things that might seem easy involve a lot more than end users are often aware of. This thread from Mitch, our director of Product Management, about the considerations involved in the item icons (really!) is a good example:

But in any case we really do appreciate the feedback, and want to exceed your expectations so that you have no reservations about bringing your team onto 1Password. We hope that the updates to come will impress you!

ref: dev/core/core#9688
    ref: dev/core/core#10777
    ref: IDEA-I-372

• AIT404
    AIT404
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P

Thank for the explanation, I understand it’s a new application that’s had a complete redesign.

I had a read of that Twitter post and I agree 100% with the way your team develops.
    I still swear by 1Password, anyone who uses another password manager, in my eyes, is insane.

I use version 8, but I’m very excited for those features, so the search is a bit more fluid.

Looking forward to some new update releases.

Thanks.

• Thank you for these kind words, @AIT404. We'll do our best to impress you at every step, and really appreciate your community involvement here!

This discussion has been closed.