1 Password 8 for Mac - missing the categories in the left hand panel

ChrisJenkins
ChrisJenkins
Community Member

In 1 Password 7 for Mac, the left hand panel showed a list of categories (Credit Cards, Passports, Bank Accounts, ...). I used that list a lot. It doesn't seem to be there in 1 Password 8! I hope you haven't removed it as that would be a major backwards step in my opinion. Please advise how I can get this functionality back in 1 Password 8.

1Password Version: 8.2.2
Extension Version: 2.1.3
OS Version: macOS 12.0

Comments

• AdieB
    AdieB
    Community Member

There are a few threads on the same topic, sadly still not appeared.
    Seems to be aimed more at people with multiple vaults :(
    There is now a category drop down at the top of the screen instead

• Hello, @ChrisJenkins! The category filter still exists in 1Password 8, but it has been moved to the top navigation just below the search box to make room in the left navigation for vaults and tags. Please let me know if this is not working for you or if you have ideas to improve it!

Also, while we are still improving the user experience, there is an advanced feature to limit search to specific vaults or categories. For example, select a category in the drop down and then hit "Cmd+F". The search box will be pre-populated with something like "=category:Logins " and you may complete the search term.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

K.J.

• AdieB
    AdieB
    Community Member

But that's extra clicks than current process and if you don't use multiple vaults the left hand pane is a waste of time.

• danrodney
    danrodney
    Community Member

@K.J._1P The things I use most in the sidebar are:
    1. Categories
    2. Tags

I don't use multiple vaults, so making them more prominent is not useful to me.

Moving Categories to a drop down menu requires more clicks and is a downgrade in speed and discoverability. If someone doesn't use the Categories they could collapse it in 1Password 7. Please put Categories back into the sidebar! Maybe let people reorder the sidebar items so they see what's most important to them.

Even in 1Password mini I miss having the sidebar where I can quickly click on a category (such as Credit Cards).

• 7h31ll3g4l
    7h31ll3g4l
    Community Member

it was much better 1password7 put back the categories and the local keychain DAMN :(

• @danrodney Thanks for your very constructive feedback! A few different users have requested this change. I have added your request to our internal issue where different options are being considered. It's incredibly valuable having our users try out the early access releases and I appreciate the feedback.

In interest of transparency, a decision has not been made on this particular user experience change, but it is something that is being considered. Cheers!

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

Same thing for me. I’d love to see the return of the categories in the left side pane.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Noted @cortig, thank you for the feedback as well :+1:

• tomjepp
    tomjepp
    Community Member

@danrodney's suggestion is a really nice option. I particularly like being able to reorder items - I don't use tags at all (too manual!) so I'd like to collapse those and move them to the bottom, or even hide them completely.

• Thank you @tomjepp! We'll take note of this. 😃

• Thanks for the feedback everyone. 🤗

We've been doing some experimentation on enabling categories to be added to the sidebar. Be sure to check out the exploring sidebar categories thread for details and add your thoughts and 👍🏻 if it's what you were hoping for.

Take care,

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• Hi @ChrisJenkins @danrodney @7h31ll3g4l @cortig !

Some news from us: the latest Beta (8.6.0-6) contains an option to show Categories permanently in the sidebar, if you prefer this approach.

If you're curious to try it out, you can do this by downloading (or updating to) the 8.6.0-6 Beta on MacOS, Windows, or Linux, and then:

1. Go to Settings > Appearance
    2. Under "Always Show in Sidebar", select the Categories option.

We'll be eager to learn what you make of this option! Thanks as always for your feedback here.

• ChrisJenkins
    ChrisJenkins
    Community Member

Yes, I saw that. Nice! Thanks.

• Glad to hear you like it @ChrisJenkins! 😄

This discussion has been closed.