To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Cannot log in to 1Password

Options
lungrunner
lungrunner
Community Member
edited October 2021 in Memberships

I am so frustrated I don't know where to begin. I had to reformat a computer. Downloaded 1Password and installed. I had set up Authenticator online. It is asking for the 6 digit code to verify who I am after attempting to open and link 1Password to my other computers/devices. I cannot get Microsoft authenticator to give me a 6 digit code. It only presents an 8 digit code. 1Password in Preferences will create a QR code but when scanned into my Authenticator App it says "invalid Code". I tried to enter Manually. Would not even go to the next step. I went to another computer to log on to 1Password and entered all my info but it wants a 6 digit Authenticator code again!!! Around and around I go. I want to get online, abandon the Authenticator mess, and set up 1Password on my newly formatted computer. How can I get past this hurdle of Authenticator? I am using the blue Authenticator App and have signed in as a Microsoft user. I have tried the grey Authenticator App as well. I can no longer get online much less install successfully 1Password on my computer.

1Password Version: 7.9
Extension Version: 7.9
OS Version: MACOSX 11.6
Referrer: forum-search:FRUSTRATED!!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@lungrunner The QR code at https://my.1password.com/profile is for setting-up a 1Password app on a phone or other device with a camera. It is not suitable for setting-up an authenticator app.
    If you go to https://my.1password.com/profile/2fa you will see the options to replace your authenticator app or turn-off two factor authentication.

• lungrunner
    lungrunner
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, but the link you suggested takes me to the sign in page for 1Password Acct. I enter my email, secret key and master password but then it wants the 6 digit code from the Authenticator App which I do not know how to get this to log in and replace the authenticator app.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@lungrunner Sorry, I assumed from your description that you still have access to 1password.com.
    You say above that you can generate a QR code in 1Password Preferences. Do you see an option in that same place to "Turn off two-factor authentication".
    I don't have a MacOS app for reference, but I believe all the apps have this feature. In the iOS and Android apps, you go to Settings->Accounts->[Your account name]. In the Windows app, you go to Account->[Your account name]

• @lungrunner: Sorry to hear that you're not able to generate the 2FA codes for your 1Password account. @rootzero is right. If you can still access your account from the 1Password apps, you should be able to disable it. From 1Password for Mac, you can do it from 1Password 7 > Preferences > Accounts > Your account > Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication.

I'm not aware of a way to export the 2FA secret (used to generate the six-digit codes) from Microsoft Authenticator. So if you're not able to disable 2FA from your own devices, reach out to us on support@1password.com from your account's registered email. We'll be able to help further there.

This discussion has been closed.