To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

what to do with old 1P data

giusep71
giusep71
Community Member

Been 1P user for many years. Just switched over to 1P accounts.
The process seems all went well, on my Mac and iPhone too.
Prior to this used to sync 1P over Dropbox. Now I'm wondering whether 1P accounts stores data someplace else on my Mac, and whether I need to remove the old 1P data folder which was being synced over using Dropbox.
Can you let me know how that works?

1Password Version: 7.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.7

Comments

• mia
    mia
    Community Member

+1

Same situation here & wondering the same.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@giusep71, @mia:

If you migrated your data to 1Password.com, you won't need your old Dropbox data file anymore, so you can remove it if you wish :+1:

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana and thanks for getting back to me.

I read your answer but I need more clarity here. One of your colleagues, @Ben , talking about differences between 1P standalone version and the account version wrote me "1Password accounts work the same way. The client apps work from a locally stored database that syncs when you are online."
    I think he's saying there's a local database somewhere on my drive, at least this is how I read it. The locally stored database he's mentioning, where is it?

• Hi @giusep71,

Other than the synced data itself that may still be in iCloud or Dropbox, there's nothing further to delete. In fact, if you were to delete the database you're referring to, that would disconnect that device from your 1Password account as that database contains your membership information.

Jack

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member

Hi @jack.platten

You're saying since I was using Dropbox to sync data over, should I ever delete 1P database within Dropbox I'd be cut out of 1P account. Is this correct? Then it should not be removed, ever.
    If so, it seems the only valuable piece of information (in my case) within 1P database in Dropbox would be my membership information.
    Then my 1P database is it stored over your 1P servers or whatever architecture you have in place?

• mia
    mia
    Community Member

@ag_ana done! Was so glad to dump Dropbox. Used to be the best, but now it's bloated trash.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@giusep71:

You're saying since I was using Dropbox to sync data over, should I ever delete 1P database within Dropbox I'd be cut out of 1P account. Is this correct?

This is not correct. Once you sync to 1Password.com, you can remove the old vault and data from Dropbox. What you shouldn't do is delete the local SQL database that 1Password uses, regardless of your sync method, which is what Jack is referring to.

Then my 1P database is it stored over your 1P servers or whatever architecture you have in place?

Correct, your data is stored on 1Password.com after migration, instead of dropbox.com.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @mia! Using a single sync method does simplify things :)

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_ana

Can you tell where the local SQL database is at?

• @giusep71

1Password stores its data in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/. Modifying the files in this folder may cause difficulties using the app.

Ben

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben

So the only valuable piece of 1P information on my drive is located in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/ and there alone. The old 1P data previously synced via Dropbox can be removed eventually then.

• That would be correct @giusep71.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Hi @Ben

1Password stores its data in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/. Modifying the files in this folder may cause difficulties using the app.

I too use the 1P application on my mac and iPhone. I also use Dropbox. I am getting ready to upgrade to a Family membership, so at some point, I will also want to delete the following data on Dropbox. Here is what I have:

I never knew about the ~Library stuff. I just looked on my MacBook and found the following:

Will this area still be there once we upgrade to the Family membership (1p.com)? How does it change with a membership account?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn:

Will this area still be there once we upgrade to the Family membership (1p.com)? How does it change with a membership account?

That area will be there even after the upgrade, but it won't change. We recommend not touching those files unless you have a specific reason, since those are files that 1Password needs to work internally.

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member

In this case just to be sure I ask as well. Here's what's left in my Dropbox folder after upgrading to 1P accounts.

As far as I've heard these two files can be deleted with no consequences. Cause, whichever was being synced via Dropbox before, now it's being synced via 1P servers.

Is there a far possibility I might be needing one of those two files in the future if anything fails on your hand? Sorry but all is on your servers now.

• @giusep71:

The 1Password apps still use a local database that syncs with 1Password.com. You still retain offline access to your items when not connected to the Internet.

1Password offers the ability to export your data locally, we never want you to feel like you've been locked in. Additionally, when you're using a 1Password account, you have additional data protection features that a standalone vault doesn't offer, like regular backups of our entire service performed by our DevOps team, as well as the ability to restore recently deleted items and roll back an item in time if you've made a change: View and restore previous versions of items

Jack

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member

Thanks @jack.platten

"The 1Password apps still use a local database that syncs with 1Password.com."
    Can you tell where the local database is located?

"1Password offers the ability to export your data locally, we never want you to feel like you've been locked in."
    What's the procedure to export my data locally, what is being exported, and how can I use that data eventually in the future?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@giusep71:

Please see this documentation page:

How to export data from 1Password

You can then open the exported file if you want to see its exact contents. If you want to use that data in the future, simply to the opposite and Import instead of Export.

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member

When exporting by clicking on EXPORT - ALL ITEMS the export includes all of the logins secure notes memberships etc. etc...
    Is that what it does?

• Hey @giusep71

That is correct. However, please know that entries such as Documents (files) are not exported.

Let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.