Use a masked email for 1Password?

Options
fraeuleinsara
fraeuleinsara
Community Member

Hello there,

since there is so much buzz about masked email and/or the Apple feature "Hide my email", I am just wondering whether it would be a good or bad idea to use a masked mail for 1Password itself as well? I can quite wrap my head around it, whether security wise it is advisable or not.

I have 4-5 email addresses. But in my mind, I do not need that anymore, because there is now masked mail.
But before I actually go ahead and change all my logins (400 at least, whoop whoop), I am just wondering whether I am missing somethin.
And whether I should change it for 1Password and stuff like Authy as well. Basically the account that I would need in case of a recovery or someone else in case of an emergency.

Thanks for your thoughts & help. Have a great weekend!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@fraeuleinsara The main reason to use a masked email address is in case the website or service gives your email address to a third party causing spam. I trust 1Password and Authy not to do that and would instead prioritize making sure the email address is one I can access in case needed for resetting 1Password 2FA or Authy account recovery.

• fraeuleinsara
    fraeuleinsara
    Community Member
    Options

@rootzero Thank you for your reply, that was very helpful!
    To assess whether I trust the website or service was the thought I was missing. ;)
    Cause I was also worried to lose access in a worst case scenario, because I wouldn't know two masked emails.

• Ben
    Options

I would not recommend using a masked email for your 1Password account. In the event you need to contact support you'll need to know what email address your 1Password account is associated with, and you may not have that context in the event you're having trouble with 1Password.

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.