To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Subscription vs Non-Subscription

Jace
Jace
Community Member

I have been using 1Password non-subscription since 2008.
I am very happy with it.
My question is this... Is there any reason I should switch to subscription? What would I gain, what would I lose?
I apologize if this question has already been asked.

1Password Version: 7.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.6

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jace!

My question is this... Is there any reason I should switch to subscription? What would I gain, what would I lose?

The subscription option has a lot of additional features that you don't get with a standalone license:

About 1Password membership

In addition to this, the Membership option (which is paid with a subscription) will be the only one moving forward, as we do not offer standalone licenses anymore. So a subscription will be the only option to keep getting the future app updates.

• Jace
    Jace
    Community Member

Thank you for your response.

The subscription option has a lot of additional features that you don't get with a standalone license

People keep saying that and I keep asking what? I have yet to get an answer.
    Saying "a lot of additional features" doesn't tell me anything.

I have looked at the page you linked above many times - I still see no advantages, only disadvantages, which is why I keep asking.

The page says "Keep your data close to home" because you get to select what country your passwords are stored in??
    Currently my passwords are stored on my computer in my house. Storing them in another country (or the US) is not close to home, it's much farther from home.

Says automatic backups, I have automatic backups at home.
    Says "Protect your data at every border crossing" - I never travel.
    Says "It’s like using the app without the app" - I like using an app, browsers are targets for hackers.

I have no problem paying the subscription, I just want everything to stay like it is now. I don't want my vault to be located somewhere else. A place that would be an un-resistible target for hackers.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2021

@Jace:

Some examples are Travel Mode, Item History, Masked Emails, item sharing, the 1Password.com web app, and the new 1Password in the browser extension for example.

I have no problem paying the subscription, I just want everything to stay like it is now. I don't want my vault to be located somewhere else. A place that would be an un-resistible target for hackers.

If that is what you prefer, you can certainly continue using the app that you have been using until now until it continues working :+1:

• Jace
    Jace
    Community Member

Okay Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome :+1:

• bradster62
    bradster62
    Community Member

Can I join this thread with a related question? I use 1Password 7 Windows with a standalone license. I realize that 1Password8 will require a membership. How long will 1Password7 be supported after the release of 1Password8? I am considering upgrading to a Family Membership at some point in the future. At that point I will discontinue my use of 1Password7. Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bradster62:

I don't believe the team has specific dates in mind yet, it's too early in the development stage of 1Password 8. Generally speaking however, as soon as 1Password 8 becomes available as default, all development effort will start going towards the new version (this is also what happened with previous versions of the app, so I would imagine things will remain the same from this point of view).

• bradster62
    bradster62
    Community Member

Thank you ag_ana

• On behalf of Ana, you're most welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.