Confusing/slow browser unlock process especially with Touch ID

Options

I'm testing out 1Password 8 on a completely new system. I have 1Password 8 and the Safari browser extension installed. After a restart, it seems that the unlock procedure is really onerous - I'm not sure if something is wrong, but wanted to report.

Here is what I'm observing:

1. Restart my machine. When the machine reboots, I see the 1Password icon locked in the menu bar.
  2. Open Safari, I see 1Password in Safari's toolbar (also locked). All expected so far.
  3. I navigate to a page with a login - I see a "Open 1Password" pane in the login entry form with a button that says 'Open 1Password'. There is no TouchID button on this form, nor does the 1Password unlock password form show, both of which I would expect.
  4. I click 'Open 1Password' - the 1Password app opens, which I would not expect - I'm in the browser, so I would figure the browser extension would handle it.
  5. Moreover, while I see a Touch ID icon, the Touch ID prompt does not active automatically, which I would expect.
  6. I click the Touch ID icon, unlock, the 1Password app window closes. I am not taken back to the browser window that I'm trying to log into, it's still inactive so I need to click into it.
  7. Back in the browser, I'm still seeing the Open 1Password pane, and the toolbar icon still shows it as locked. (The system menu bar 1P icon shows as unlocked.)
  8. I click "Open 1Password" again, and now the toolbar icon shows as unlocked, and the list of passwords shows in the field.

That's at least three extra clicks to unlock, plus at least one 'error' in that after unlocking in the app (which again, seems odd) the browser did not automatically update.

I hope this is not expected behavior, because that makes unlocking (something that would happen all of the time obviously) that much more of a hassle. 

Comments

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    Options

I've seen similar behavior to #3/#4 but on Windows and not in relation to TouchID. It'll ask me to unlock both browser and app client which would seem to be a strange workflow since v7 one wouldn't have to do that. Not something I plan to ask for support yet as it's not reproducible.

This discussion has been closed.