new phone setup, log in requiring security key setup

bfallik
bfallik
Community Member
edited October 2021 in Android

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a new Android phone. Android managed the data + app transfer from my old phone but when I try to log into 1password I'm experiencing a strange workflow. After I enter in my master password OR scan the setup code from 1password.com, the Android app asks me to further protect my account by setting up a security key. The options are Bluetooth, NFC, or USB, Problem is that I don't want to use a security key but there doesn't seem to be a way to skip this step via the UI. As far as I remember I didn't have to set up this security key when I originally installed 1password on my old phone so I'm not sure what's going on here.

Thanks in advance!

brian

1Password Version: 7.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 12

Comments

• Hey, @bfallik!

Can you share some more information about your new Android phone so I can try reproducing the same behavior? If so, what is the make/model and Android version of your device? Also, could you share a screenshot when you're being asked to set up a security key with bluetooth, NFC, or USB?

I'll keep an eye out for your reply and let you know what I find!

• bfallik
    bfallik
    Community Member

Sure, I updated the metadata above but this is 1Password for Android v7.9 on a Pixel 6 Pro with Android 12. Let me try to attach a screenshot.

brian

• bfallik
    bfallik
    Community Member

• bfallik
    bfallik
    Community Member

Update for anyone who encounters this problem.

I deleted all of 1password's data and cache and then restarted the sign-in process. I still hit the same screen forcing me to use a security key but I used an Android gesture to move backwards and that forced the app to back out of the security key process. Instead is asked me for a 2FA code. Once I entered a valid code then 1password synced my vault and now seems to be operating normally.

• Thanks for sharing the screenshot and detailed information!

The screenshot is for two-factor authentication. 1Password accounts have the option to use two-factor authentication with an authenticator app or a security key. You can find more information about setting up two-factor authentication for 1Password on the Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account and Use your security key as a second factor for your 1Password account pages. If a security key is configured for two-factor authentication, the screen you shared will be shown. If you don't have the security key and you tap the back button, the time-based one-time password screen will be shown.

I'm glad you were able to get everything working! Let me know if you have any further questions.

This discussion has been closed.