What is the purpose of the 'outdoor license' category?

System
edited October 2021 in Lounge
This discussion was created from comments split from: Please reconsider colour options for Windows 10 Favicons.

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

I beg your pardon for being offtopic, but I noticed "Outdoor License" in your list. I saw this in 1Password before, but this is the only template I don't have the slightest clue what it is about. What data is supposed to be saved in there? What about this data is so widely used and important that it even got its own template in a password manager? (I live in Germany)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2021

Hi @Tertius3

I'm not sure what the applicability would be in Germany. I'll ask some of my German colleagues to chime in. :) In the US and Canada we have hunting, fishing, boating, and other recreational licenses/permits, passes for parks, etc that fit well here. We have a number of categories that will be more or less applicable depending on your individual situation. I suspect only a relatively small subset of users use the 'Server' category as well, for example. In fact I'd go so far as to say I'd bet that the majority of users have items almost exclusively in the Logins, Passwords, and Secure Notes categories. 😀

And, who knows, perhaps once traveling becomes 'less adventurous', you might end up using it while visiting other countries. :)

Ben

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

@Ben thank you for the explanation. I guess my focus is elsewhere, I have a more IT-centric view of a password manager. Here you nearly always need the physical plastic card or stamped paper sheet to show the validity of your permit, so I never thought about entering such details in the computer. It goes out of date faster than you would use it digitally.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Tertius3:

I also don't use the Outdoor License item type personally, but I use the Driver License one for my license details, even if I need to carry my physical license when I drive. It's useful in case I have to fill those details online, or in case I lose my document. Perhaps the outdoor license can be used in a similar way.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

This touches the realm of a document management system. I don't see password managers like 1Password as document management system. For often used data you may create password manager entries, but usually documents reside in a big sorted and categorized archive either in physical form or digitized. 1Password is delivering fast access to data you often refer to in digital form, but for document management, it lacks major functionality. The ability to directly store file attaches in any entry is a huge step forward, but you are not able to archive and organize thousands of documents in folder structures, directly view image data and have ocr and fulltext indexing of all attaches. That's either a huge undertaking to implement, or simply out of scope.
    The only attach I use in 1Password is a scan of my identity card and a scan of my driver license. In case I forget the physical documents, showing scans is more then showing nothing, if someone requires it.

For everything else, I use a different app for managing and archiving my documents that helps me keeping overview over the bureaucratic part of my life. A more visual app that will display every document while searching and browsing. It's somewhat open and not cryptographically secure, but that's a thing I have to accept.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2021

@Tertius3:

The ability to directly store file attaches in any entry is a huge step forward, but you are not able to archive and organize thousands of documents in folder structures, directly view image data and have ocr and fulltext indexing of all attaches. That's either a huge undertaking to implement, or simply out of scope.

I think this is out of scope, as you say. If you have thousands of documents, then a document management app is definitely the best choice. But since you typically don't have thousands of driver licenses or outdoor licenses, I see how those categories can be useful for the few details you might want to access securely (like with the latest Medical record entry, which is another example of this).

• I personally see these types of features in 1Password as being handy for quick reference, rather than a replacement for full blown document management.

The only attach I use in 1Password is a scan of my identity card and a scan of my driver license. In case I forget the physical documents, showing scans is more then showing nothing, if someone requires it.

This is primarily how I use it as well.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.