To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can someone explain 1Password terminology?

ajahn
ajahn
Community Member

I've been reading a lot of the posts here today. I'm a little confused by the different terminology used. Maybe a team member can explain.
I have a 1Password account that is not a membership (I don't pay monthly). Is this considered a "local" account? Or what? I realize that there are several "membership" accounts; family, personal, and team. What are those called? Thanks.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6

Comments

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

I just found another post by @Ben mentioned that "accounts" have only been around since 2015 and if you started using 1P before then (I started in 2010) you are not using an "account". But I would still like to get a list of the 1P terminology if someone can help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajahiel:

accounts" have only been around since 2015 and if you started using 1P before then (I started in 2010) you are not using an "account". But I would still like to get a list of the 1P terminology if someone can help.

This is correct.

I have a 1Password account that is not a membership (I don't pay monthly). Is this considered a "local" account? Or what?

You have a standalone license, not an account.

I realize that there are several "membership" accounts; family, personal, and team. What are those called? Thanks.

Those are called Memberships :+1:

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

So, you either have a "standalone license" or an "account"? Are all memberships considered accounts? Thanks.

• That's exactly right @ajahn! :smile:

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

@Ragnorok, thanks for that detailed info. I currently use Dropbox with my standalone license. I suppose that storing on Dropbox or iCloud is available outside of my local machine, so there's that. I like the standalone license because I only pay once. I'm still using 1P 6 on my computers (7 on my iPhones because AB gives you the mobile app for free) I assume that would stop w/8. Anyway, for me I think the family membership is a good idea because we have 4 users. I hate paying every month, but I suppose it is what it is. I just hope AB doesn't decide to increase the price too much over time.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn:

I'm still using 1P 6 on my computers (7 on my iPhones because AB gives you the mobile app for free) I assume that would stop w/8.

The mobile apps will continue being available as part of the subscription with 1Password 8, but they won't be sold separately, so nothing will change. You will be able to download them for free, but you will need a 1Password Membership to use them.

This discussion has been closed.