Feature request - faster operations

Hi 1Password team

I've been using 1Password for a couple of months now.
I am pretty happy with it but I have a request/suggestion:

• When I open 1Password on my Chrome browser using the keyboard shortcut, there is a small delay before the dialog appears
  • Once I unlock 1Password for Chrome (or Edge), there is another delay, plus the animated lock confirming the password is correct.

As I open that plugin often, I was wondering if there is a way to speed that up - maybe also an option to remove the animation! :)

Not sure if others feel the same but I just wanted to share this with you.
Thanks
Tony

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @tony359, thanks for this feedback. We're always trying to speed things up and streamline the app, so we appreciate your perspective here.

Out of curiosity, are you able to estimate how long these delays are, in each situation you mentioned? While there is some necessary delay, based on the cryptographic math that's required for 1Password to do its thing, we of course seek to minimize overall performance delays as much as possible. I'll be interested to know more about what you've observed on your device.

Thanks again, and we're looking forward to hearing from you! 😀

• tony359
    tony359
    Community Member

Hi Peter,

It's minimal - 0.5 to 1.5 second. So nothing major but I find a bit annoying. The turning lock animation is cool but maybe unnecessary. It's just that I end up using 1Password often so those small delays all add up. Indeed they're not making my day longer by any means! :D

My PC is a Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB RAM and Windows 10 - so not an old one. But I observe the same timings on older machines.

Thanks a lot!

• Thanks for the details, @tony359. It's great to hear that this is minimal in terms of disruption + delay, but we'll nevertheless keep doing what we can do on our end to keep the performance improvements coming!

I've heard great things about the 3700X, by the way. One can never get enough cores these days 😀🚀

• BrettGrivell
    BrettGrivell
    Community Member

I just came to request the same thing but the delay I'm seeing is longer. I've got the Firefox and Edge extensions installed and integrated with the 1Password App. This works really well and quickly once it's unlocked, but if it's not there is a 3 - 10 second delay whilst it has to load the 1Password app and pop up it's unlock screen. After I lock the computer or 10 minutes of activity, 1Password locks and the next time I need to use it I have to wait for it to load again. Is it possible to have the 1Password app stay loaded in memory after it's locked rather than being closed and then needing to be reloaded on each unlock?

• Hi @brettgrivell, sorry for the delay in response.

This works really well and quickly once it's unlocked, but if it's not there is a 3 - 10 second delay whilst it has to load the 1Password app and pop up it's unlock screen.

With the processes running when 1Password in the browser reaches out to the desktop app, it is normal behaviour to see up to a 2-4 second delay, but not as much as 10 seconds. Can you let us know if you see this behaviour all the time or is it more predominate when you first boot your device or after waking from sleep?

Is it possible to have the 1Password app stay loaded in memory after it's locked rather than being closed and then needing to be reloaded on each unlock?

The 1Password app process should remain running in the background when the app is locked or it reaches the idle time set in the app. When you are seeing this behaviour, can you confirm that 1Password is still running in your list of processes?

Thanks! :)

• BrettGrivell
    BrettGrivell
    Community Member

Hi Mike. With app and browsers closed I have a single process running and opening a browser adds an extra process. When I click on the browser extension to unlock, another process opens until password is entered (I think it's this process that is taking the time to load). If 1Password has locked recently then yes, it's probably around the 2 second mark which is fine. But if I haven't used 1Password for a while and everything has been unloaded from memory, the delay is more like 6-7 seconds (maybe the 10 seconds was a bit over). I have had the odd longer one but I did notice that I'd had a popup about 1Password being updated around the same time so that wasn't too surprising.

• Hi @BrettGrivell, thanks for getting back to us with this updated information.

With app and browsers closed I have a single process running and opening a browser adds an extra process. When I click on the browser extension to unlock, another process opens until password is entered (I think it's this process that is taking the time to load).

This is correct behaviour. What you are seeing here with the other 1Password for Windows process opening, this is 1Password in your browser calling to the desktop app to unlock the browser extension. Then if you open the desktop app itself, you'll be seeing 2 processes as depicted below

If 1Password has locked recently then yes, it's probably around the 2 second mark which is fine. But if I haven't used 1Password for a while and everything has been unloaded from memory, the delay is more like 6-7 seconds

Timing can be slightly different from device to device, but if you continue to see this behaviour with load times reaching this 7 seconds (or more) regularly, I'd like to ask that you please send us a brief email over at support+windows@1Password.com so we can investigate further. Please include a link to this discussion so we know that the person emailing is you. You can also include the Support ID # (ie: [#ABC-12345-678]) in this thread to help us locate the email.

I have had the odd longer one but I did notice that I'd had a popup about 1Password being updated around the same time so that wasn't too surprising.

I've also been hearing this from a few other customers and this can be expected as during an update.

Thanks again and have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.