Will 1Password make its own "masked email" instead of a partnership?

Options

The partnership and integration with FastMail is a nice surprise. However, this is only true for FastMail users. It would be even nicer if this was a 1Password creation with (or without) the use of a custom domain.

Hopefully this will be considered one day.

Note: I am fully aware I could just use the random password generator to make a mockup email before the @, but as anyone can see with the the video / announcement of the FastMail partnership, the FastMail integration is much faster and convenient.

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: 2.1.5
OS Version: Windows 10
Referrer: forum-search:masked email

Comments

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    Options

My main concern is that I don't want to pay for another subscription membership for FastMail. It would've been ideal (maybe not realistic) for the service to be included in the 1PW subscription; they could have brought more people to the product who were on the side lines.

Just my opinion.

• ag_Gabriele
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hi both,
    I can definitely see your concern regarding the need for yet another subscription. Currently, I don't believe there are plans to support this directly via 1Password unfortunately.

If you have any other questions, please let me know and I'll try to help :)

EDIT: To clarify, we're definitely listening to feedback here and although as I mentioned above there are no active plans, we're always looking at ways we could bring these features to more users.

• TheCowGoesWoof
    TheCowGoesWoof
    Community Member
    Options

@mia I agree 100% as FastMail is quite pricey when considering there are cheaper, more privacy oriented alternatives. Also as I said, this integration only serves FastMail customers who use 1Password. All other customers are basically out of luck, which is unfortunate.

@ag_Gabriele For me, my concern is not another subscription.

I strongly believe that subscription based models help businesses focus on other projects without the worries of "will we have enough customers to fund out projects". And if a person likes a product enough, they will happily pay for the sub whether it's $1/mo or $30/mo, regardless how many subs they apply for.

But I digress and will repeat (for me) my concern is not another subscription. My concern is the lack of features because a "small group" gets to have these new features. If I choose not to have a service that is a partnership, in this case, FastMail, then I am losing out on features, which, in my opinion is a bit unfair as I am a paying customer.

To go a bit off topic (but still similar issue) it's the same with privacy (dot) com users. I understand that this one will allow a larger group to obtain such a useful feature, but as a Canadian paying customer paying for a company that states is "Canadian", I feel I got shafted.

• @TheCowGoesWoof thanks for clarifying, I understand that your feedback revolves more around not getting a feature by default in 1Password since it's part of a partnership, rather than the requirement for extra subscriptions.

As I mentioned there are no internal plans to provide this or other partnership features as standalone features for now, but we're definitely going to keep listening to feedback on this front.

Please let me know if I can be of further help :)

Gab

• VictorVon
    VictorVon
    Community Member
    Options

@TheCowGoesWoof
    I agree with you 100%. Getting access to only 1 of the 3 new features while paying the same price as those who can use all 3 feels bad.

• TheCowGoesWoof
    TheCowGoesWoof
    Community Member
    Options

Getting access to only 1 of the 3 new features while paying the same price as those who can use all 3 feels bad
    no internal plans to provide this or other partnership features as standalone features for now

It's understandable these customers get to enjoy these features since they're the ones paying extra to use such features.

Of course, there are negatives to having all all my eggs in one basket; however, many users of 1Password (myself included) are already doing so with their 2FAs, security questions, SINs (SSNs), etc, etc -- let alone their passwords -- and are even asking for backup codes to be implemented! And I do see (business wise) to go this route since although Canada is very large country, the number of people pale in comparison to other countries.

For myself, this just sorta "hurts" since being Canadian supporting a Canadian company -- I feel I'm a Canadian customer supporting yet another foreign company (AKA 1Password).

1Password's security is top notch, and so, hopefully one day some of these features through partnerships are implemented to 1Password as standalone features. I personally would love it as 1Password has become an essential part of my every day usage. Further, it would really stand out against its competitors.

This discussion has been closed.