To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I need help. I accidentally created a new account using the same email. I don't know what to do now

Leeblc
Leeblc
Community Member

In the App update this morning, an add, that I didn't expect was in there and I accepted and ran everything NOT realizing what I was doing somehow. Now, while I got back into my Family paid account, I have a mess. All my tags are gone and I have to use my master password to log in with rather than my normal password. I am so frustrated and can't believe this is costing me my entire morning to deal with. I actually went into panic thinking my master account I've used for a decade was gone - Why would there be an add in my update? I need to know how to get my tags and things back to normal - this is just terrible. Thank you anyone who can help me.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:accidentally created new account same email how do i fix

Comments

• Hi @Leeblc

We'd be happy to help you sort this out. It sounds like this stems from having a "Primary" (standalone) vault present in your 1Password configuration, perhaps as a holdover from before you started using 1Password Families. Standalone vaults will not work with future versions of 1Password, and so we're trying to get everyone notified and off of them ASAP to avoid issues in the future.

Do you have your Emergency Kit for your original account handy? If so, please use the details from that document to sign in using our web app. Once signed in, click on the Personal vault, and confirm you're able to see all of your data. If you're able to confirm that we'll walk you through resetting the app and have you sign in only to the account that has your information in it. Once that is done we can make sure any extraneous accounts etc are cleaned up, though we'll need to move the conversation to email to do that.

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but so we can get the correct instructions prepped for when we reach that step, could you please let me know what version of 1Password you're using (e.g. 1Password for Mac v7.9)?

Ben

• Leeblc
    Leeblc
    Community Member

Hi Ben, I was able to sign in to my family account and get back in to everything - My only remaining problem now is a) I am using my master password for my desktop (not an easy one or what I want.) b) I have no idea how to get rid of the free personal account I created and don't want to have to bother with. I'm fine leaving it up if it won't bother anything but I don't want to have any confusion. I've had my account for decades and it's my lifeline. I can't afford any mistakes with it.

On a side note (rant) whoever put an add misleading with the upgrade today should be fired.. Adds don't belong for paid users to a free account. Anyway...appreciate whatever you can do to clean this up with me. I just thank God I didn't wipe out my account. I was actually shaking I was so scared this morning. Who thought this one up?

• Leeblc
    Leeblc
    Community Member

1Password 7
    Version 7.9.1 (70901007)

• @Leeblc

I'm glad to hear you were able to get signed into your 1Password Families membership and things are in order there. The only way to see the "ad" is if you have a problem — i.e. the app has a standalone vault, which will not work in the future. This is exactly what it is indended to draw attention to. It sounds like there are two things we should do to clean up the balance of this:

1. If an account was created that isn't being used, it can be deleted. Accounts are not free, and if you entered billing information you would be billed for the account after the trial period even if you are not using it. To delete the account please sign into the extranious account and follow these instructions: https://support.1password.com/delete-account/ Please make doubily sure before doing so that you're signed into the correct account, not the one that holds your data, and that you have the Emergency Kit for the account you're keeping
    2. Reset 1Password for Mac, which will delete any standalone vaults as well as removing all signed in accounts from the configuration. You can then use the data from the Emergency Kit to sign back into 1Password for Mac, which will leave you with the same data you see when you sign into your 1Password Families account at https://my.1password.com. Going forward 1Password will unlock with the password of your 1Password Families account, i.e. the same one you use at https://my.1password.com. To reset 1Password for Mac select Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data.

Because there is possible room for error here, and we're talking about deleting things which could contain 1Password data, I'd encourage you to take this process slowly. Please triple check you've got your Emergency Kit for your 1Password Families membership, that you're able to sign into it at https://my.1password.com using the details on the kit, all of your data is visible there, and that isn't the account that you delete in step 1.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Leeblc
    Leeblc
    Community Member

Thanks for your answers Ben. A couple of things. First, I entered no financial data so the accidental account is on a 14 blow up trail. In other words, it will go away in 14 days. Might it be better to allow it to die on it's own since it's life is limited, rather than risk some type of error? Just wondering. Let me know please if this would be an option--to do nothing then clean up when it dies on it's own.

The only confusing part of your comment is regarding having a problem being the cause for seeing the ad. So be it. Obviously, since it put me into a tail spin until now, it wasn't helpful. Let me clarify.

You are telling me I have a vault under my family plan account that is stand alone? How is that even possible. Or, let me rephrase, you are telling me along with my family plan, there is a vault that is standalone. I think I may know what is wrong.

My wife has a standalone account but I also created a vault for her on the family plan. Or, I have an older vault that is standalone.

My question is, why was that not dealt with when I purchased the family plan? i.e., tell me I have a vault that is standalone?

Here's the issue, if there was a standalone vault that will blow up and not work in the future, how do I identify it? Because all this nonsense I did will not help. When I created the new account, I saw nothing. In other words, it wasn't like a purchased an account for a standalone vault because the account I created had no data.

I have to say Ben, and I hope you will concede, this was not a good way to call my attention to anything! I don't know if you're a volunteer or staff but, this went very wrong from the ad to still having to use a master password to get back in. The only thing good is that my data is still there. Then there is the question of why 1P would let people create 2 accounts under 1 email. That would have saved the day if I had gotten a message an account already exists under this email. Maybe you can shed some light on that for me please.

Last, can I reset my Mac 1password anytime regardless of going through all the steps you listed.

Please let me know on letting the bad account expire on it's own and the 1P reset on my Mac.

I guess I'm not out of the woods yet.

Thanks for the help I wish I had not needed. I still say the add needed to tell me more than a generic message. Anyway...

• Hi @Leeblc:

Ben, as well as myself are both 1Password employees.

It sounds like we may need to take a closer at the setup on your device and make sure that everything is as it should be. To do this, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• Leeblc
    Leeblc
    Community Member

As of this time, I've received no BitBot Support ID number I have to post here.

That's good to know you and Ben are employees.

I'd be fine running a Mac diagnostic Jack. At the same time, I'd appreciate answers to these questions I asked Ben yesterday:

1. Is allowing the unpaid trail (unintended account) to simply expire an option rather than force deleting it?
    2. How do I identify a standalone account in my family vault? (Rephrased from yesterday for clarity.)
    3. Can I reset my Mac 1Password now using the same steps Ben gave me? (I currently am using my master)

I appreciate you both are trying to resolve the issue caused yesterday by the ad placed inside my app. Thank you.

At the same time, from a customer service perspective, I haven't detected any level of accepting responsibility for my problem. If we can agree, we're all intelligent adults and while I'm no expert using 1Password, I have been a user for more than a decade. The ad at best was confusing and unclear. At worst, it was incorrectly placed in my app.

I did not list my question from yesterday as to why anyone would permit multiple accounts under one email, but it deserves an answer. This one challenge alone would have stopped me cold in my tracks from thinking I was upgrading rather than starting another account.

1. Why would 1Password permit multiple accounts under the same email? I'm not aware of any other app or company who considers this a best practice. Do you know anyone who does this? At least we can say, this is not the industry standard for apps.

Please respond to these 4 questions to continue helping me recover and restore my 1Password to before the ad appeared with your upgrade yesterday morning.

I will run the diagnostic the first opportunity I have and submit to you as you requested.

Have a good day.

• Hi @Leeblc:

Thanks for clarifying those questions. The short version is question 1 and 3 require a conversation over email, rather than in public here, as we want to protect your privacy, and the options will vary depending on what exactly is in the individual 1Password account you mentioned.

The answer for question 2 requires a bit of explaining to make sure we're all on the same page. Standalone vaults exist outside of any 1Password account, and do not exist in an account. Any standalone vaults would be shown separately in the 1Password for Mac sidebar like so:

In this case, Wendy Appleseed has a 1Password account containing the Personal vault, and then a standalone vault named Primary. I can't speak to what vaults you may or may not be seeing specifically on your end without the diagnostics report I mentioned, but that is how you would identify a standalone vault still being used.

As for question 4, we allow 1 individual account per email address, but any number of family accounts per email address. For example, Wendy Appleseed could have her own individual account using the email account wendy.appleseed@icloud.com, but also use that same email for the Appleseed family (say her parents and siblings) 1Password family account, as well as a second family account with her partner, all using wendy.appleseed@icloud.com for a total of 3 separate 1Password accounts, 1 individual account, and being a member of 2 family accounts.

I also see that you are in touch with us over email as well now, so that would be the best place to discuss the next steps to get you back to the way you were before.

Jack

ref: MFJ-33831-716

• Leeblc
    Leeblc
    Community Member

Thanks so much Jack for those explanations.

I trust you will transport this conversation then to our email customer service representative to continue where you are leaving me off. She stopped the email seeing I was chatting here most likely, or so I thought.

Please let me know here if that's not the case so I can copy, as best I can, this string of emails.

I take note of the continued avoidance of any responsibility for this issue of the ad showing up in my App. It's less than top shelf customer service to have a long time customer have this kind of issue and not at least apologize.

Thanks for your valuable time here. I'm on my way to begin email conversations and pick up where you're leaving me off.

Have a good day.

• @Leeblc:

That definitely wasn't our intention, and I'd like to apologize for you getting this notification and the confusion around it. We collected very little information about our buyers of a 1Password license at the time of purchase. Combined with the fact we don't collect telemetry from the 1Password app itself, there are very few options for notifying license users or those with standalone vaults about the upcoming changes in 1Password 8, while ensuring that it was something they would definitely see.

As for your email conversation, I see Alex K. has been in touch most recently, asking for some more specifics from you.

Jack

• Leeblc
    Leeblc
    Community Member

Much appreciated Jack and apology accepted! I'm a huge 1Password fan so after all this time, there was bound to be a day that came a hiccup. Here it is! :)

I don't have any contact by email from Alex K. to date. Please ask him to recontact me at my email address on file. I'll reach back out here in case I don't hear from him by tomorrow around this time too.

Have a good day

• You're very welcome for the help @Leeblc. Have a great day! :smile:

• Leeblc
    Leeblc
    Community Member

Hi Jack, end of my work day Friday and not one word from Mr. Alex K.

Who is responsible here for working diligently to move this ticket forward? As you see, I've been from email to Ben, from Ben to you, and mid-stream supposedly received a bit-bot hip-hop and Alex K. in the house. Yet I'm still in the same situation. You want to give Alex K. a shout out and let him know he never sent me any email?

Let's move this back into forward gear please!

My thanks as always!

• Hi @Leeblc:

I've just followed up with you in the email conversation with a Support ID of [#MFJ-33831-716], and included Alex K's last message to you as well.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.