Data residency (Canada specifically) and multiple browser usage

Two queries (Teams version):

With the recent changes to 1P I'm a bit confused....our vaults used to (if I understand it correctly) reside on our machines locally, encrypted using the Secret Key, with the decryptor hash stored at 1P,ca - resident in Canada. Our vaults are now stored in the cloud at 1P...correct? But where? Has that remained strictly with a residency locus in Canada?

And a secondary query, which relates in part to the above and recent changes. I use three different browsers for different purposes. Recently I've found that "sometimes" after re-awakening my laptop from hibernation and opening 1P in the browser on (say) Firefox....and then I open Edge, the browser object for 1P is unlocked there. That should not be. It has happened as well that the Edge version hangs, Chrome loads, I log in there...and the Edge browser version opens. Is there now a common interface using the Windows binary that is checking status?

1Password Version: 7.9.825
Extension Version: 2.1.3
OS Version: W10 21H1

Comments

• Hi @Ziggy_Stahdust

I'd be happy to help explain.

our vaults used to (if I understand it correctly) reside on our machines locally

The 1Password apps always use a local database to store your data, and then that data is synced with 1Password.ca so long as you're connected to the internet.

with the decryptor hash stored at 1P,ca

This isn't quite right. The decryption keys (your account password and Secret Key) are only ever known by you. They aren't availble to us, transmitted to 1Password.ca, or stored on 1Password.ca. This guide may be helpful:

How Secure Remote Password protects your 1Password account

resident in Canada

1Password.ca lives in Canada, yes. Additional details on the various instances we offer can be found here:

1Password in your region

Our vaults are now stored in the cloud at 1P...correct? But where? Has that remained strictly with a residency locus in Canada?

If your membership is on 1Password.ca then your vaults are synced with 1Password.ca in Canada.

And a secondary query, which relates in part to the above and recent changes. I use three different browsers for different purposes. Recently I've found that "sometimes" after re-awakening my laptop from hibernation and opening 1P in the browser on (say) Firefox....and then I open Edge, the browser object for 1P is unlocked there. That should not be. It has happened as well that the Edge version hangs, Chrome loads, I log in there...and the Edge browser version opens. Is there now a common interface using the Windows binary that is checking status?

Locking and unlocking is handled by the 1Password for Windows application using a feature called "Shared Lock State" (SLS). If you would prefer the extension to unlock completely independently you can turn this off by deselecting the "integrate with desktop app" option in the extension's settings (right click on the extension's icon in your browser's toolbar and then select settings). You'd need to do this in each browser that you want to be independent.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Ziggy_Stahdust
    Ziggy_Stahdust
    Community Member

Thanks Ben -- that all makes sense! I didn't quite get the "integrate with the desktop app" portion...so I missed the implications of that. It's fine...it just puzzled me!!

• On behalf of Ben you're very welcome @Ziggy_Stahdust! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.