Difficult to Change Specific Characters in Passwords on iOS

Options
Keifer
Keifer
Community Member
edited June 2021 in iOS

The title says it all, but on the iOS 1Password version, it is nearly impossible to change specific characters of a password in edit mode of an existing login. This is because 1Password masks the characters when editing (even with don’t conceal passwords turned off).

To be clear, it shows the revealed password you are trying to edit below, but there is ZERO way to tell where you cursor is (relative to the masked password line above) when editing. So if you wanted to change several characters in the middle of an existing password, for example, good luck with that on iOS! I now have to go to the desktop client to change it properly.

Can you please change this so I can actually see the full password, with cursor, when editing an existing password field?

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited June 2021
    Options

@Keifer

I'm sorry for the trouble. We have an issue opened for this behavior. I'll add your report to it. Thanks for taking the time to let us know this is affecting you too.

ref: dev/apple/issues#5210

• leturner
    leturner
    Community Member
    Options

Pleaseohpleaseohplease, please, pleeeeeeeease change this design decision. For the love of [insert deity] why, why? WHY? does iOS force indirect editing of the password? It makes it nearly impossible to actually edit a password accurately both at time of creation or afterwards.

But it is especially onerous in the case of new login creation. When 1Password aaalmost - but not quite - meets some site/app's specific password formula or limits _(idiotically short character limits, or extremely limited special characters allowed? anyone? anyone?) _

I've tried - but can't for the life of me - figure what this design issue this approach is trying to address: It's not security - the password is plainly visible BELOW the masked characters I can edit. It's not facilitating edit access - it's actually blocking it.

To change, insert or delete characters in a password I have to:
    1. Manually count the visible password characters below the masked ones to the point I want to change,
    2. Then manually count dots while press/sliding my finger to the (hopefully) correct spot,
    3. Either type/insert new character or delete old character then type replacement character
    4. Then usually delete the newly added character and redo step 2 forward or backward one or more spaces because I missed
    5. And SOMETIMES when I type a character to insert or change the entire masked password actually is REPLACED by the single character I typed!!

_ (sound of grown man crying) _

Is this really how it's supposed to work? Or am I truly doing something completely wrong or the unicorn that's hitting some edge case a couple times a month nearly no-one but myself the the OP have?

Please, please, please change this.

Respectfully, for all the hard and awesome work that goes into the otherwise awesome 1Password app family,

Thanks,

Lyle

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you so much for the feedback @leturner! I have sent it straight to the developers :)

• dugbee
    dugbee
    Community Member
    Options

Ran into this today. I typically generate a password and then modify accordingly, but I guess it’s been some time since I did it on iOS. I had to paste the generated password into the notes field, modify, copy, then paste back. I can’t comprehend why you can reveal the password but only be able to type in the masked field. Please make this usable! Thank you!

• @dugbee

I'm sorry that you ran into trouble when changing your password using 1Password on iOS. I've forwarded your feedback to our developers as well. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.