Let's talk about the type of person that purchased 1Password a few short years ago.

Options
cmonman
cmonman
Community Member

Hi my name is Chris and I am a technology guy.

In this context it means that I am a tech contractor that has to work with Macs, Linux, and Windows, I also own an iPhone.

Like any good technology guy I have way too many passwords to way too many systems, very often I will work at a company on contract and amass 10 passwords for no good reason.

That said, when I was looking for a password manager 1password was a choice amongst a pretty sparse field, with lastpass being the only real competitor for my use case.

1 rejected last pass for 1 simple reason. I did not want my password database in the cloud, yes we know that the cloud can be incredibly secure but we also know that the cloud very often is not secure, whether its because of poorly patched servers or rogue employees is irrelevant.

Why would a hacker was his time trying to hack my phone, and get access to the -$35 dollars in my checking account, when he can attack lastpass download a database of millions of passwords and spend his sweet time parsing through the good stuff.

No my password needed to be locally secured, and even if it was on a cloud server not stored alongside a bunch of other morons password files with a giant neon sign saying PASSWORDS HERE.

Yes I know I am oversimplifying but you get the general gist.

Fast forward to 2021, Facebook has transformed to Meta and in the soon to be data apocalypse even apple finally caved and have brought their password manager to some semblance of modernity. Look! it even has an MFA option like google did five years ago.

1password is the only password manager (that a real person would use) that still offers local storage, and yet every single time I open it.
it spams me to create a 1Password account, ironically this spamming got me register a community account to bitch and moan but that isn't the point here.

We luddites like local storage, it makes us feel warm and fuzzy inside. Please stop spamming me to create a 1password account. I don't want it, and I don't want to explain to my 70 year old mother why I have to change the way she does things.

Sincerely one of your greatest fans and a rabid customer.

P.S stop spamming me to "upgrade"
P.S. pretty please.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_angelica
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hi @cmonman,

Thanks for reaching out and I apologize for the trouble you're having with the promotion to upgrade.

Storing your data in our servers wouldn't be something to worry about as neither your Secret Key or account password are ever sent to us. Your data is encrypted with a combination of these 2 and then, it's sent and stored in encrypted form in our servers so it's almost impossible for someone (even us) to access it. You can take a closer look at our security model to understand better what we're doing to keep your data secure: https://support.1password.com/1password-security/

Having said that, I understand if you'd still like to keep using local vaults and not upgrade to 1Password 8. For that, we've added an option to dismiss this promotion. You will still be able to find it under the Help menu in 1Password 7 if you wish to use it. This should be available in 1Password 7 for Windows already and it should be available for Mac very soon. I hope this helps.

All the best,
    Angelica

This discussion has been closed.