1password in Firefox MacOS copy password shortcut copies username not password

Options

This is version 1password 2.1.3 ( i.e. latest stable release) and Firefox 94.0.1 though it's happened for some time in various versions including previous OS versions. Works flawlessly in Brave which I've had to switch to, but I'd like to revert to Firefox and this one thing is preventing me from doing so. The Command + shift + c shortcut only ever copies the username again, not the password. I can see this with the helpful action dialog bubble that appears in the extension.

I've rebooted, re-installed Firefox, re-installed 1password and tried both beta and stable releases but to no avail.

Am I missing something here, is this a known issue, or am I just special?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.1.3
OS Version: 11.6

Comments

• @toss

It's possible that Firefox has CMD+SHIFT+C reserved for another function. To make sure we're on the same page, can you let me know what your use case is here? Are you attempting to copy/paste your credentials from 1Password into the browser?

• toss
    toss
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_chantelle

Thanks for your reply. My use case is using the 1password browser extension in the absence of the desktop application to access each key pair and copy the password from to use either in the browser or other applications. Indeed, Cmd+Shift+c is used by Firefox when in the Page Inspector to inspect element. This is why I find it a bit baffling that Agilebits have decided to use it as a keycombo in Firefox rather than having an alternate one picked or better yet, providing a custom key combo editor one can use to set a combo of choice, but I digress .

However, that said, when outside of the inspector and within the 1Password browser extension, the key combo does enact a function call, but it seems a duplicate call to copy username, which is normally Cmd + c (i.e. no shift). The bubble that pops up in the extension window confirms this is the call, and pasting the contents of the clipboard does indeed paste the username, not password.

I know it isn't my shift key failing to register because the same key combo in Brave works without issue.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hey @toss ,
    Thanks for the update and additional information.

Browsers have a very restricted API access to keyboard shortcuts and we're doing the best we can to provide reasonable shortcuts that would work in most situations, but sometimes these may collide with other functions of browsers in certain scenarios. There's no way to manage a full list of shortcuts that are free to use unless we'll do a 4 buttons shortcuts list, which we prefer to avoid.

I tried reproducing what you're describing and was unable to do so. Here's what I tried:

1. Open Firefox (94.0.1) on my Mac (11.6.1).
    2. Unlocked 1Password.
    3. Go to any webpage (e.g. Google.com), right click on an element on the page and select "Inspect".
    4. When the inspect tools show up, I opened the extension and pressed CMD+SHIFT+C to copy whatever is in the first item in my 1Password list on that webpage and 1Password notified that the password was copied.
    5. I pasted the password into a text document and it was indeed the password, not the username.

I tried that multiple times on different websites and with different login items, but couldn't get the username to be pasted. Also, the shortcut always worked even then the inspector tools were opened.
    Am I missing a step here? Could you provide me with a detailed step-by-step of your own?

• toss
    toss
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron @ag_chantelle

I don't know what to tell you; I fully reset Firefox to true factory defaults and tried again and voila, it worked. I have no idea why on earth it didn't before ( I have removed and re-installed even) , but I must apologise for having wasted your time on this. Truly a pebkac issue by the looks of it.

Working as desired, and I'm pasting this from Firefox having switched back.

Thanks for your time.

• We're glad to hear the reset to defaults managed to correct the issue for you @toss! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.