1Password keeps running in the background

hardy
hardy
Community Member

I have installed version 7.9 on a Samsung J6 phone and noticed that 1Password is continuously running in the background, till I go to the setting and force stop it. The next time I open the App, same situation. I have uninstalled and downloaded the app, with same result.

1Password Version: 7.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 8.0.0

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hardy!

I think this might be because of the autofill feature, otherwise you would have to open 1Password manually each time, and copy and paste items from the app, and 1Password would not be able to suggest logins in websites and apps. Are you looking for a way to manually enter your credentials instead of using autofill?

• hardy
    hardy
    Community Member

Autofill is disabled in 1Password settings.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hardy:

Thank you for the confirmation. On my old Android device, that's how things worked for me for every app though: I had to force quit them manually from the Settings if I wanted to stop them from running. My understanding is that this behavior was managed by Android, which would close the apps after a while, but not every time immediately after I closed them.

• Hi @hardy !

Android apps typically remain in the background when you exit the app, as it is the Android system's responsibility to monitor the resource usage and automatically close any app process when necessary (e.g. device running out of memory). Modern Android apps running in the background would not have significant impact on battery life or system stability, and so is 1Password. However, if you are still concerned you can always close any app manually through the app switcher button.

• hardy
    hardy
    Community Member

I can only force stop if I want to close 1password manually but it gives a warning that force stopping could damage the software?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hardy:

That is a default warning message coming from your phone. There should not be a problem if you want to quit it, but our recommendation would be to leave it running and let Android close it when necessary.

• hardy
    hardy
    Community Member

I figured it. Problem was with Android 9, I updated to android 10 with lateat patches and problem solved!

You may close the case. Thanks for your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @hardy! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.