Spam prompt with black contents after upgrade to 7.9.823

Options

Hi,

I unfortunately don't have a screenshot, but I was just now baffled by a 50% off ad popup in 1Password mini, right after the app uprgraded to 7.9.823. Come on, I have two paid accounts in the app already and a vault dating back to 1Password 4, so can you please not be spamming?

Furthermore, the main area of the popup was entirely black, so no text was visible. The buttons were okay. Maybe I missed some information there that would justify the popup but I somehow doubt that.

1Password Version: 7.9.823
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• HI @finwe, thanks for bringing this up here. My apologies for the intrusion!

To explain a bit: what you've seen here is a notifier that we recently included in 1Password; it's intended to help standalone license users prepare for the eventual move to subscriptions (at a hefty discount, which we hope folks will find valuable).

As to why it's popping up in your app, I'll borrow from @jack.platten's succinct summary in a related thread:

We collected very little information about our buyers of a 1Password license at the time of purchase. Combined with the fact that we don't collect telemetry from the 1Password app itself, there are very few options for notifying license users of 1Password 7 that memberships were the way forward, while ensuring it was something they would definitely see.

TL;DR: we're not trying to spam you - it sounds like something did go wrong with the display of the image itself, though.

Again, my apologies that this intruded on your workflow, and you don't need to worry about lots of similar notices appearing in the future - this is a temporary measure at a point where we want to help people transition with our full support. Thanks for your understanding!

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

Does this by any chance mean you are removing support of standalone 1Password vaults? It seems so as I am not able to add it in v8 beta.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @finwe !

It seems so as I am not able to add it in v8 beta.

Local vaults are not supported in v8 anymore! It is only working with a membership and the vaults on 1Password.com!

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

And for how long will I be able to access the local vault with 7.x?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

As long as v7 is working! :)

• Hi @finwe:

There's a few things here I'd like to discuss.

First, would you be able to share more details about your specific hardware setup? We've seen a black notification before, but that was due to a GPU driver issue in virtualization, and more details would allow us to investigate further and smooth it out as we continue to let folks like yourself know about it.

Second (thanks @DenalB for the assist! :smile:), as mentioned, 1Password 8 will support membership vaults solely. Standalone vaults and licenses have served us well for over a decade, but we've pushed them as far as we can, and it's time to start moving forward with 1Password memberships.

While I'm unable to provide a specific timeframe as to when 1Password 8 will launch from Early Access and be the stable version going forward, 1Password 8 will be a separate download, and 1Password 7 will not automatically update to it. While 1Password 7 will no longer receive feature updates after the launch of 1Password 8, we will provide any security updates for as long as possible.

Jack

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jack, thanks for an answer with at least some valuable information.

First, no virtualization here, external display through 1060 with Max-Q design (or internal Intel graphic card, I am not sure which of those 1Password uses). I only have a Linux guest running on the side in Virtualbox. 1Password runs in the Windows host.

Second, I am really sad to hear this. I hope I will be able to stay on the local vault as long as possible.

• @finwe:

Thanks for those specific details on your system, that'll help us investigate the issue with this notification displaying.

As for your local vault, is there anything we can do to reduce your need for the standalone vault, or is this something you have to use and keep locally? If this is something you'd have to use locally, we'd recommend filling out our survey asking about self-hosting 1Password accounts.

Jack

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

I would not say I currently need/want to self-host, it's too much of a liability, responsibility, and overall a weak link. I might change this opinion when I am not able to use my local vault anymore. Based on the technical approach of self-hosted 1Password, and of course also on pricing – should the self-hosting become a thing.

Generally, I just like not to overcomplicate things: having an application installed, having its data locally and backed-up remotely, and not needing to rely on mulitple other network components, the cloud, and so on.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

Ha, I was able to reproduce the original issue when investigating another issue.

Happened after upgrade from .822 to .824 (after enabling beta builds).

• Good afternoon @finwe. I'm sorry for the delay in response. Thanks again for reporting and letting us know you were able to reproduce this behaviour. I wanted to touch base here quickly and let you know this was fixed in our latest beta (7.9.825) released earlier today, October 25, 2021. I hope this helps! :)

ref: dev/windows/opw#5106

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    Options

I mainly hope that I will not see this message or its alike again (I believe you've been given enough grief for this), but thanks :)

This discussion has been closed.