Turn off Chrome redirect behavior?

Options

This for the Chrome extension on Windows — if I select a login in the 1Password menu and 1P has a different URL saved with that login (often because the website is using some third party back end) then it redirects me to the saved URL. What I want it to do is simply fill in that info on the current page.

Is there a way to turn off this "jump to login URL" behavior? I feel like there used to be, but I can't find it now.

thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• @plewis

It sounds like you may have to update the Login item to contain the URL of the page where you wish to autofill. Can you edit your existing Login for the site and add the URL under the "website" section and let me know if that improves your state of play?

• plewis
    plewis
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, but this is what I’m trying to avoid. I have hundreds of logins and don’t want to fix them all, or correct the URL that 1Pass scraped with each new one (which is often not the URL i will go back to in order to log in). I just want to autofill on the page I’m at.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @plewis ,

The autofill function is a very sensitive one (from a security standpoint). If we allow autofilling anywhere and everywhere, it would make users a lot more prone to phishing attacks and other sorts of security risks. For example, if a user reaches a phishing website that is similar to a website they know (e.g. www.ammazon.com), and 1Password wouldn't care about matching the URL exactly as it is written in the login entry, that would allow the user to autofill on that phishing website and compromise their credentials.

Autofill will only work if the domain of the website you're currently visiting is identical to the domain that is listed in the login entry in 1Password. The rest of the URL (prefix/suffix) can be different, but the base domain must be identical.

You can add multiple URLs into a single login entry in 1Password, which will allow you to autofill its credentials in all of these URLs.
    If you find yourself in situations where you need to autofill a login entry on a different domain that is not listed in the login entry, I suggest you use the drag and drop method, which makes this quite easy and quick:

1. Get to the login page on the website.
    2. Click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar to open it.
    3. Grab the username/password with your mouse and drag it over to the relevant field on the website.

I hope that clarifies the importance of the URL matching and why we do not allow autofilling everywhere :)

• plewis
    plewis
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

Thanks for the thorough explanation! For my own sanity, am I correct that it was once possible to turn off this auto-redirect behavior, i.e. to left-click on a login in the menu without loading the saved URL? (even if it wouldn't autofill)

FWIW your #3 above doesn't work in my browser but maybe I'm misunderstanding. What I'm doing now (and only when autofill keyboard shortcut doesn't work) is 3. right-click > password > copy, then right-click > paste in the password field, then repeat for username or just type it.

This drag / drop method would certainly speed that up if it's username & pw together, but that's not working for me. If you're talking about dragging them one at a time, I'm not quite sure how I could even expose them inside this menu to do that?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2021
    Options

I'm glad I was able to clarify things :)

There was no behavior that allowed you to left click without loading the saved URL (unless you're referring to very old versions of 1Password).

As for step #3 - you need to open the 1Password extension on the top right corner of your browser's toolbar. No right-click, just normal left-click on 1Password's extension icon on the top right corner of your toolbar to open it, then grab the username field with your mouse, drag it over onto the username field on the website. Repeat this for the password field separately. It is easy and quick because 1Password's window will remain open so no need to right-click or copy-paste or anything.

This doesn't work from any menu within the page, only via the 1Password extension's window on the top right corner of your browser.

This discussion has been closed.