Irremovable banner ad

Options

Why does 1password version 7.9.825 have a Irremovable banner ad AS WELL as a popup begging you to upgrade to a 1password membership? Why did you think this was a good idea?

1Password Version: 7.9.825
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 11

Comments

• Hi @mgrandi,

Thanks for asking about this.

The short version is that we collected very little information about our buyers of a 1Password license at the time of purchase. Combined with the fact that we don't collect telemetry or data from the 1Password app itself, there are very few options for notifying license users of 1Password 7 that 1Password memberships are the way forward, while ensuring it was something they'd definitely see.

Our excitement about 1Password 8 led us to this action, and it wasn't something we took lightly. We're absolutely excited about how 1Password 8 works with a 1Password membership, and we decided that 1Password 8 would be membership only (for more details on this, here's a post by our founder Dave Teare) and wanted to make sure our customers were ready when it launches.

Using a notification like this is something we weighed the pros and cons of internally. We rarely ever do so send notifications like this, and I completely understand your frustrations around why you're seeing it. We'll continue to use these very sparingly (for context, I believe this is only our second used in 16 years of 1Password), but we will indeed need to have a few more to help make sure people have time to migrate over.

Jack

• yahyayuh
    yahyayuh
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, then a simple X to close is enough. Then each customer can hide the popup after viewing and it is not displayed all the time. It is understandable and perfectly clear that you want to improve the business figures in Q4, i.e. at the end of the year, and then advertise the subscription. There is a reason why smart customers preferred to buy a one-time license in the past and not a stupid expensive subscription...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @yahyayuh! I will pass it to the rest of the team for consideration :+1:

• PotemkinAlly
    PotemkinAlly
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

I likewise came to ask about this.

1.) I received both a popup/modal and this unremovable message. I don't care how "excited" you are, I don't want ads or unremovable notifications interrupting me. Give me a setting to disable this.

2.) "The way forward" should have been the license that I purchased eight years ago. I was forced to pay for again three years ago when you deemed my old license "too old" to qualify for the update, which annoyed me but I bit the bullet on. I am not interested in paying a subscription. Remove the ads now, and when the time is right, I'll migrate to another product when I stop getting software updates - preferably an open-source solution that isn't likely to pull this kind of nonsense after I've paid for two licenses.

I don't want cloud, dropbox works just fine. I don't want family, I don't want to share, I don't want any of the other crap you're pushing with this. Why is it so hard to just continue to offer me the product I've paid twice for and haven't needed any new features on for nearly a decade?

• removetheads
    removetheads
    Community Member
    Options

100% agree. A one-time pop-up, dismissable notification, or even an email, does the job just fine to communicate coming changes. However an ad that's not dismissable and eats up real estate in the app has the opposite effect you intend--it drives us to look into competitors. It's tacky and unappreciated.

Our excitement about 1Password 8 led us to this action, and it wasn't something we took lightly. We're absolutely excited about how 1Password 8 works with a 1Password membership, and we decided that 1Password 8 would be membership only (for more details on this, here's a post by our founder Dave Teare) and wanted to make sure our customers were ready when it launches.

This ad says nothing about 1Password 8 only working with a membership, it's just trying to push subscriptions on us.

• dplatonoff
    dplatonoff
    Community Member
    Options

Also just got a popup and a notification at the bottom of the sidebar in the app. No matter what the excuses are, it's absolutely unacceptable to push in-app ads to paid licensed users. A notable drop of standards, something completely unexpected from a 1Password team. All my household members including kids have now got this ad on their screens. Perhaps it's time to look for alternatives.

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps it's time to look for alternatives.

If you will not be moving to a membership, that is what you should do. AB have made it very clear that licenses are dead. That is why they are making this offer. It is a choice between moving to a membership or moving to a different product.

• Hi folks,

Thanks for your input on this. The migration page talks about 1Password 8 being only available with a 1Password account, and we'll track your feedback about being able to dismiss the notification.

Membership is the way forward with 1Password, we are no longer selling licenses, and that is why we're showing the message.

Jack

• dplatonoff
    dplatonoff
    Community Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

If you will not be moving to a membership, that is what you should do. AB have made it very clear that licenses are dead.

But issue is specifically THE ads!

1P has subscriber data, they have all our license ordering information. If they reached out to me at my original licence purchaser email with: "sorry folks, we won't be selling licences anymore, but here's a sweet deal", I wouldn't have thought twice about subscribing.

Instead, they chose to modify the app to spam every end user of a licensed product. Why why why is that an acceptable choice?

• MatthiasL
    MatthiasL
    Community Member
    Options

Found this thread while being on the way to make a similar issue. As for the technical site, the ad pop-up is working perfectly, but for the other topics:

I'm a similar user having 6-8 (my family ;-) ) standalone licenses in combination with Dropbox (the reason I came to 1Password) since 4.X. I still don't want the hosted 1Password-version for the obvious reason: The ongoing payment through subscription.

So, please remove this annoying ad in my paid application. The user can't even click it away but only minize it, really?

• leonid1812
    leonid1812
    Community Member
    Options

I bought the 1Password app v.7 for Windows. I payed money for this app. Could you please explain why I see advertisements? This is not acceptable. I am not so stupid to save my passwords in cloud and pay for subscription.

1Password Version: 7
    Extension Version: 2
    OS Version: Windows 11

• mgrandi
    mgrandi
    Community Member
    Options

the problem is that i paid $200 dollars for my licenses and now you are showing an ad that i can't dismiss saying that I must upgrade, which is honestly not surprising as you have treated license holders as second class citizens for years, least you can do is add a dismiss button to your ad.

• janil
    janil
    Community Member
    Options

I also want to get rid of this message.

I am not downgrading to a "membership". I am bummed by your business practices, agile bits used to be a great company.

I am not interested in running electron apps when the current apps are so nice.

• quazilogic
    quazilogic
    Community Member
    Options

I came to this forum looking specifically for a thread discussing these banner adverts that I now find on my licensed 1Password standalone product version. I guess I found it. I was also half-expecting an announcement that you had been purchased by Roxio or some other company because it reeks of the unwanted advertising tactics they use.

Anyway, shame-on-you for resorting to such tactics. Hopefully, these banners can be removed by the next version, otherwise it will be shame-on-me thinking you were better than the rest..

• dplatonoff
    dplatonoff
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for adding a "Dismiss" button in the latest release. Hope we can continue using our 1Password uninterrupted now.

This discussion has been closed.