Why doesn't Fastmail integration work with newsletter sign-ups?

skeskali
skeskali
Community Member

Out of curiosity, why doesn't the 1Password+Fastmail integration work in mailing list sign-up forms? Is there a way to trigger 1Password to generate an alias that can be used for this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @skeskali:

Currently 1Password in your browser will only prompt to create a masked email in account creation fields. I can definitely see how it would be nice though to quickly create a masked email for a newsletter. We are currently tracking this as a feature request already, so I'll add your input to it! :smile:

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#10143

• skeskali
    skeskali
    Community Member

Thanks, Jack!

• You're very welcome @skeskali! :chuffed:

• bugs
    bugs
    Community Member

Basically we need this in both directions - have the option to either enter the username or the associated masked email in any email field. Too many times you are entering your email = username and your only option is to create masked email, or the opposite, when you are trying to change your email in the profile screen and the only option given is to enter your email/username. Too many times I have to go back to fastmail and manually create or copy a masked email. Thanks!

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member

As a small workaround, I quickly hop into duck duck go and generate a random email address. Then have a filter in Fastmail which captures all emails to random duck alias’. Works ok in the meantime until this is solved!

That being said, I don’t like the idea of fast mail masked emails page clogging up with non important stuff.

• Hey @bugs and @chris55:

I've added both of your feedback to the feature request as well. Thanks! :smile:

Jack

• gats
    gats
    Community Member

It would be great to have the fastmail masked email generation in more places! I have hundreds of existing accounts that I'd love to create masked emails for, and that's currently a super painful process. Some kind of batch process would be pretty nifty, but even just getting the email generation to trigger if I'm changing an existing email would be fantastic.

• Hey @gats:

Thanks for your input here! I've added your voice to the above issue I mentioned. :smile:

Jack

• EqualWing
    EqualWing
    Community Member

Hey there, I'd like to add my vote to this as well. 1Password doesn't always correctly identify sign-up forms, so it would be great to be able to create a masked email address when creating a new entry manually.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Noted @EqualWing, thank you for the feedback as well :+1:

• jfredrickson
    jfredrickson
    Community Member

Masked email would definitely be useful for one-off forms like product back-in-stock notifications as well as newsletter signups. But even better, I'd like a way to manually generate masked emails within 1Password at any time. There's a "Password Generator" key icon in the browser extension; I'd love to see a "Masked Email Generator" in the same style.

• Hey @jfredrickson:

I've added your feedback to the issue above. Thanks! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.