Everytime I login in 1P version 8 I get an email

Options

Every time I log in ( not installing ) in 1P with version 8, I get an email
so If I log in a few time a day I get an email each time ( same computer without any change from one time to another )

Is there a preference somewhere that may have been corrupted that I need to delete, or an application support folder or file ?????

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Gilles9, thanks for letting us know about this.

Just to check: are you using a VPN, proxy, or any other connection-altering products that might cause your IP address to appear different?

If not, we can certainly investigate what might be causing this to happen.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

One of my computer has Private Relay turned on, this could be it

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

Ok it has nothing to do with private relay, the computer I use has no Private relay as it is Big Sur MacOs 11.5.2

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

I had this with the browser extension, but now I can’t even log in there at all.

EDIT: after a reboot I just got another login email.

• @XIII @Giles9

Do you have 2FA turned on for your accounts? One of the other team members had asked about that.

• It wouldn't be related to Private Relay or IP address change.

When you sign into 1Password, the unique client id is generated and saved in the local storage. It seems that it is getting lost somehow.

• We might be able to see more info in the browser extension logs:

• enable Safari > Preferences > Advanced > Show Develop menu in the menu bar
    • select Develop > Web Extension Background Pages > 1Password for Safari - Background Page
  • XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Yes, I have 2FA turned on for my account.

However, the 6-digit 2FA code was (correctly) only asked the very first time I logged in (so not when only typing the password, in other logins, that still lead to an email).

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem

Just tried version

still getting an email everytime I log in 1P v 8

this is what you asked for

Safari 14.1.2 on a MBA M1 running version 11.5.2

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

For me it happens way less now (and maybe even stopped?).

Can't find a pattern...

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

Just tried V8 again, and again I get ongoing email notification that I use a New Browser

on my 1Password Profile it is full of "authorized devices" showing that I am using Safari Macos 10.15.7
    which is not accurate, I am using Safari on macOS 11.5.2

However my MBA shows with the right MacOs

and as said everytime I log in 1P I get an email

• Something must be wiping out the Safari local storage that is used by the 1Password extension. Do you have any apps/utilities that might be doing it?

• @Gilles9 I was hoping to see the logs from the Console tab. Something like this:

[Debug] crypto tests: 8.200ms (background.js, line 2)
    [Log] πŸ‘‹ Initializing 1Password (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] channel: stable (background.js, line 2)
    version: 2.0.6
    build: 20170 (15.0)
    browser: Safari (15.0)
    [Info] πŸ‘ Finished initializing 1Password (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ’« Looking for desktop app com.1password.1password (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“€ Sending <NmRequestAccounts> message to native core <4049140050> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“₯ Received message <NmRequestAccounts> from native core <4049140050> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“€ Sending <NmRequestAccounts> message to native core <2983938448> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“₯ Received message <NmRequestAccounts> from native core <2983938448> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] We successfully unlocked 0 account(s) from a Desktop app with 0 unlocked and 3 locked account(s). (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] Received <AppQuit> from the native core (background.js, line 2, x2)

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

@roustem

Something must be wiping out the Safari local storage that is used by the 1Password extension. Do you have any apps/utilities that might be doing it?

"Cookie" app from SweetP production maybe

From the "Console Tab", can you sprecify where I find this, so I can provide next time I give a try

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    edited September 2021
    Options

@roustem

I disable "Cookie" app and the problem remains

from the Console Tab

[Debug] crypto tests: 6.631ms (background.js, line 2)
    [Log] πŸ‘‹ Initializing 1Password (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] channel: stable (background.js, line 2)
    version: 2.0.6
    build: 20170 (15.0)
    browser: Safari (15.0)
    [Info] Upgrading database from version 0 to 10. – Proxy (background.js, line 2)
    Proxy
    [Info] πŸ‘ Finished initializing 1Password (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ’« Looking for desktop app com.1password.1password (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“€ Sending <NmRequestAccounts> message to native core <3138226852> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“₯ Received message <NmRequestAccounts> from native core <3138226852> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“€ Sending <NmRequestAccounts> message to native core <2989676884> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] πŸ“₯ Received message <NmRequestAccounts> from native core <2989676884> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] [LM] Started Safari Lock Monitor at 1630932053670 (minutes=10, lock on sleep=true). (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] Hooray!; Unlocked account MM24RGMW5JFVNETXSAUNKBAR4A with MUK; πŸŽ‰ (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] We successfully unlocked 1 account(s) from a Desktop app with 1 unlocked and 0 locked account(s). (background.js, line 2)

NOTE THAT SYSTEM Macos IS SHOWING 10.15.7, my MacOs is 11.5.2 on a MBA M1

• @Gilles9 looking at the Cookie.app and it seems that something that could certainly delete the local database used by the extension. I am surprised that it doesn't have any options to selectively delete the data.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem

Ok disabling totally Cookie.app solved the problem with 1password version 8

Thank you

Note: not too pleased with disabling Cookie.app

• sarath
    sarath
    Community Member
    Options

I received the a similar email in the morning and was panicked a bit, but looks like it's a bug.

• Hey @sarath β€” have you experienced this again at all? I'd love to hear more about what leads to these emails, if you're still encountering this.

• sarath
    sarath
    Community Member
    Options

I’ve not observed this of late. @ag_michaelc

• Thanks for confirming, @sarath. If you do unexpectedly see it again, please let us know so we can investigate further. :smile:

• PeeWordz
    PeeWordz
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting this occasionally as well...

I tracked a previous email's IP address to Apple, so didn't worry about it.
    However, today's email showed an IP address which I could not trace: 49.191.158.24
    Also, the email stated a time (November 11, 2021 at 8:48am AEST) which doesn't correspond to any time shown in my account in the "My Profile" page.
    And yes, I am currently running the Private Relay beta in "maintain general location", so may experiment with "Use country and time zone" to see if that stops the (concerning!) emails.

Questions:
    1: Should I be concerned?
    2: Can 1Password incorporate this behaviour into its reporting, or is this firmly in Apple's court?

This discussion has been closed.