Missing App Icons

Options

Running on an M1 Max with macOS Monterey and I've noticed that a lot of my apps are showing a generic blue badge instead of their true icons. In the extension, it's the older-style ruler with a pencil and paintbrush generic icon.

Icons in 1Password: https://www.dropbox.com/s/igmpfo94lu5v1yg/app icons 1P.png?dl=0
Icons in 1Password extension: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgqlzzuce4c5m8v/app icons 1P extension.png?dl=0

1Password for Mac
80400019, on BETA channel

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: 2.1.3
OS Version: 12.0.1

Comments

• Hi @nosillacast,

One of the recent changes in 1Password 8 has been a brand new set of icons by our amazing illustrators. They've outfitted our apps with all new item icons which you can see here:

I like the new default software license icon much better than the old rulers and paintbrush but if you want an even more customized experience there are a couple of roads we can take:

Rich Icons: Our rich icon system supports Software licenses but we don't have an icon for every app out there. If there are apps that are missing, please let us know so we can add them to our list of icons to add. That way other users with licenses to those apps will get the updated icons too.

Custom Icons: We've recently added support for adding custom icons to items. If you have an icon you'd like to use for an app you can click here to choose the file and we'll apply that to your item. It's a great way to get something just right if that's what you looking for.

I hope that helps, let me know if you run into any trouble with your new icons! 💜

• nosillacast
    nosillacast
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

That's very cool - but the problem is that many applications that showed icons before are showing the generic icon now. It's not grabbing the .icns file correctly. In these new screenshots, you can see mimoLive and Affinity Publisher are showing generic icons:

There could be a root cause I've thought of. In both of these examples, both apps were downloaded through different means than when the entry was made in 1P. Affinity Publisher for example was originally purchased directly from the developer but is now a Mac App Store download. The main version number hasn't changed. And mimoLive has been downloaded as a beta right now, not the released version in 1Password.

I haven't studied every example, but it seems that 1Password should still be able to grab the .icns file correctly, shouldn't it?

• Hi @nosillacast,

I'm so sorry I misunderstood the problem 😅. You're right, 1Password 7 for Mac was able fetch app icons from the apps themselves. This technique is incredibly cool but it came with some drawbacks that we'd like to smooth-out in 1Password 8. The icon was fetched live rather than being stored as a custom icon on the item. This means that if you moved to a Mac without that software, or used 1Password on a different platform, that icon would be inconsistent (because that app isn't available on the other device or platform).

To alleviate those inconsistencies, we are leaning more heavily into Rich Icons and Custom Icons in 1Password 8. We want you to have beautiful icons wherever you use 1Password, and to do so we need to leverage our common icon platforms.

My favourite solution would be to get any missing apps added to our Rich Icon service so that all 1Password users would get those lovely app icons automatically. I will file issues to add Rich Icons for Affinity Publisher and mimoLive right away. Let me know if there are others that you'd like us to add.

For a more bespoke icon (I'll leave the particulars to our designers but) one possibility would be to allow app selection via the "Choose a new icon…", or maybe allowing users to drag-and-drop an app onto the item icon while in Edit mode. It wouldn't be automatic the way Rich Icons are, but it would allow customers to see those icons in all their 1Password apps.

• nosillacast
    nosillacast
    Community Member
    Options

Oh wow, so for now unless you "know a guy", your app icons will not show up unless they've already been explicitly added? That seems highly problematic. I'd rather have uninstalled apps not have icons that installed apps not have them. I suppose a workaround to edit them would be ok, but sure not optimal from a user perspective.

• Hi @nosillacast,

It's less about knowing a guy, but one does have to know to ask for those icons to be added. Feel free to drop by here any time you have missing icons so we can get them added. That helps all 1Password users with licenses to those apps. People helping people is what makes this community so great!

I'm looking forward to supporting app icons in the Custom Icon workflow by allowing you to select the app directly, I'm hoping we can get to that soon.

I realize this is a change from the way 1Password 7 works, but I hope that it will lead to increased consistency across all the places where you use 1Password.

Please keep the wonderful feedback coming, and do let me know if you have any other app icons that you'd like added.

💜

This discussion has been closed.