Why partner with Fastmail?

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Fastmail and 1Password for Families..

Comments

• ericgui
    ericgui
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, here i'm also wondering why you choose Fastmail ;
    I invite you to fully read this article about the privacy problems Fastmail has :
    https://restoreprivacy.com/email/reviews/fastmail/

An interesting feature could be to offer also some alternatives (open source or self-hosted, or even commercial) :
    AnonAddy, SimpleLogin, etc.
    And some other email provider, very secure like ProtonMail or Tutanota, or more classical one (like Infomaniak here in Europe).

Maybe to ask Fastmail to offer a storage and process in Europe, which is a location a lot more respectfull in term of privacy than Australia or USA.

I was wondering about Vaultwarden (the "new" name of Bitwarden), and this "not so perfect" move from you is encouraging me.
    Please listen to your users, who don't only look for simple process but also for your longtime engagment for privacy.

Best regards from France.

• This discussion was created from comments split from: Fastmail and 1Password for Families..
  • Hi folks!

Thanks for asking this important question. When evaluating who to partner for this feature with we did extensive reviews of several potential companies and their privacy policies, including those of Fastmail. Certainly privacy is an important cornerstone of our business, and we do not take our customers’ privacy lightly. Fastmail has a fairly extensive article on this subject, here:

How Fastmail provides a secure service – Fastmail

We will continue to monitor the situation with Australia's laws and the potential impacts there and act accordingly should the outlook change. Another resource I'd point to is our recent podcast episode with Fastmail's CTO where we deep dive on this important topic:

Email Alias Rabbit Hole with Ricardo Signes from Fastmail | Random but Memorable

We can absolutely consider supporting additional providers for this feature in the future. One of the reasons for choosing Fastmail for this initial rollout is that we want to help promote JMAP, the open source tech that powers this integration. You can read more about JMAP here:

Fastmail | We're Making Email More Modern with JMAP

As more providers support this standard the more feasible it will be to have this integration with them. :+1: I'd encourage you to encourage your provider to take a look.

Ben

• MoosMas
    MoosMas
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,

I'm very excited to see the new collaboration with FastMail, and I've signed up for the free trial. However I do agree with @ericgui . It would be a very nice addition to have multiple options to choose from.

I think SimpleLogin offers a really nice service, similar to FastMail. It's open-source, offers a free plan and the premium plan is about the same price as FastMail. I think SimpleLogin would make an excellent addition to the current arsenal of 1Password collaborations because it's open-source, has PGP and offers features like custom alias, reverse alias, one-click unsubscribe, quarantine, email forwarding to your own address and (in my opinion) much better control of individual aliases. It's also based in France which, as @ericgui mentioned is more respectful of privacy than the USA for example.

I really hope 1Password would consider teaming up with SimpleLogin, as I'm sure something really useful will come out of it.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @MoosMas. We'll continue to keep an eye out for opportunities to partner with other brands that can be mutually beneficial for our customers and theirs.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

It takes two to tango...

Fastmail is probably a good partner thanks to their JMAP API?

• Ben
    Options

JMAP was definitely one point that was attractive to us about Fastmail. <3

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

JMAP was definitely one point that was attractive to us about Fastmail

https://blog.1password.com/making-masked-email-with-jmap/

• Ben
    Options

Indeed. Thanks for sharing that link, XIII. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.