False alert on reused passwords

Options

In the Watchtower section of 1P I see a lot of alerts about reused passwords. When I went in and started looking at the details I noticed that half of those alerts come from the passwords I generated by 1P itself. They show twice - once in the Login category and once in the Passwords category. I found this discussion:
https://1password.community/discussion/114463/used-password-generator-to-create-a-new-password-it-shows-as-reused-password
But I am still not convinced that is the right behavior. 1P knows that both entries point to the same URL, and 1P knows why.
I understand I can do some manual cleanup and remove those entries from the Passwords category. OTOH I keep all the generated passwords just in case, though they probably are not going to be ever needed.

Also, I remember some old discussion about automation of the search for the duplicate entries. Has there been any progress in that regard?

Please advise

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @mzel!

They show twice - once in the Login category and once in the Passwords category.

This is correct. What you are seeing here Watchtower identifying that item in the Password category as a reused password. If the Login item is holding all the correct information including the password, you can archive or delete the matching Password category item to remove that particular entry from Watchtower > Reused Password category.

Also, I remember some old discussion about automation of the search for the duplicate entries. Has there been any progress in that regard?

Currently, a remove duplicate tool is available in version 7 of 1Password for Mac. This tool searches for and removes only exact matches. On other platforms such as Windows, this tool does not exist and the removal of duplicate entries will need to be handled as a manual process.

Thanks and let us know if you need anything else! :)

• mzel
    mzel
    Community Member
    Options

Currently, a remove duplicate tool is available in version 7 of 1Password for Mac. This tool searches for and removes only exact
    matches. On other platforms such as Windows, this tool does not exist and the removal of duplicate entries will need to be handled as > a manual process.

Yes, I know. As I said there was a discussion about this over a year ago https://1password.community/discussion/115530/find-duplicate-logins#latest
    It would be nice to have some intelligent tool to do this for me

• mzel
    mzel
    Community Member
    Options

If the Login item is holding all the correct information including the password, you can archive or delete the matching Password
    category item

Thanks for the hint!

This discussion has been closed.