2fa Not Working on Web

Options

Everything was working fine and I was able to access 1password.com.
Then I cleared all my chrome passwords, cookies and other data.

Then I tried to login to 1password.com.
I autofilled my details (which are stored in 1password) and I checked these match the Emergency Kit.
Then it prompts me for 2fa, which I also autofill from 1password.
The 2fa fails, so I use the 2fa on my phone Google Authenticator app.
That fails too.

I am still able to access the 1password application on my computer, so I check the 2fa code being generated there and it matches the 2fa code on my phone Google Authenticator app.

So, to summarise, I can still access 1password on my computer and my phone, but not the web version.

Any suggestions as to what to try next?

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: macOS 10

Comments

• c9450928
    c9450928
    Community Member
    Options

I think my best bet is to export everything from my the 1password application on my computer and then delete the account. Hopefully then I can import it all into the new account. Has anyone ever done this?

• c9450928
    c9450928
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I solved the problem myself.
    There is an option to turn off 2fa in the application. Under Preferences -> Accounts.
    This allowed me to log in to the web version without 2fa :)

• Hi @c9450928:

Glad to hear you got it working by turning off two-factor authentication from within the 1Password app! Just to make sure you're prepared for the future if you do reenable two-factor authentication for your 1Password account, here's a few tips to keep in mind:

• Be sure to not solely store your the authentication codes inside 1Password. It sounds like that's what you've done, but it's just something to reiterate.
    • 2FA is very time sensitive, so any drift in time on your device could cause the authenticator codes to be rejected. A good resource to check if your time on your device is correct is the following website: https://time.is/. After making sure the time is correct on your devices, your authentication codes should be accepted.

For more details on how to take advantage of turning two-factor authentication on for your 1Password account, see here: Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

Jack

• c9450928
    c9450928
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jack,
    Thank you for your advice. I actually had the authenticator in two places and they both agreed with each other. So I can only think it was 1Password.com that got out of sync somehow, although that also seems highly unlikely. My 2fa was on two separate devices both of which set the time automatically via the internet. They are used to authenticate lots of other applications with no problem. So really I've no idea how it happened.
    I'm going to switch to using a Yubi key for 2fa as it's more secure. Don't worry, I've bought two of them! :smile:
    Thanks again,
    Owen

• Glad to hear it @c9450928! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.