Holding down option (⌥) / alt to reveal passwords

2»

Comments

• holgr
    holgr
    Community Member

Yeah, cmd-r isn't exactly a great choice when using something in combination with a browser. ;)

• huffalumpy
    huffalumpy
    Community Member

+1
    This is just one more thing that is really annoying in 8.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

+1
    I really liked the elegance of the 1PW 7 solution just pressing Option/Alt although I see that it might be problematic in screen sharing situation.

• Hey folks. ⌘R isn't applicable to the browser extension. We don't have a keyboard shortcut to reveal there, at this point. I too liked ⌥, but it caused problems for a lot of folks particularly w/r/t screen sharing.

Ben

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

Why not make the shortcut configurable and explicitly allow to set just a modifier key without any additional key? The default could be an ordinary modifier + key. Anyone who likes to could then change to Alt / Option only.

• I think customization could be possible here, but having only a modifier key is what is problematic. Holding alt, shift, etc all happens as part of normal typing and as a result can unintentionally cause information to leak.

Ben

• huffalumpy
    huffalumpy
    Community Member

I don't know how many people have 1P as their frontmost window in situations where they are concerned about an information leak.
    I only have 1P open when I am actively using it for logging in to some service.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

@Ben the problems regarding modifier only shortcuts during typing can be solved by using local or focus based shortcuts. In contrast to global shortcuts that work even than 1PW‘s window is hidden local ones work only if the application/1PW is the active foreground window. With additional constraints like enabling only if the user is not editing or creating items one could further reduce the risk of unintended use. It‘s slightly more work on the development side but it‘s possible. We use this kind of shortcuts in a mission critical broadcast application all the time.

• I don't know that this is only a concern where 1Password isn't the foremost application. I don't think it is entirely uncommon that someone is, e.g., giving a presentation and needs to log in to a service. I've certainly had to do that myself. They might then try to alt+tab to another window and inadvertently reveal information. In any event, we'll continue to evaluate how to best offer the ability to temporarily reveal passwords without offering too much opportunity to reveal sensitive information unintentionally.

Ben

• yspreen
    yspreen
    Community Member

how about doing alt + ctrl/cmd ?

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member

Why alt + ctrl/cmd?

• RichieB
    RichieB
    Community Member

I had to come here to find out about ⌘R as it is not mentioned in the ⌘/ popup. ⌘R indeed seems a poor choice if it doen't work in the browser extension.

• magobaol
    magobaol
    Community Member

Ben,
    I understand your concern about providing the most safe way to hold password, and thus your worries that some information might be inadvertently revealed while screen sharing. I get that, really.
    But I also know that you certainly have a variety of users, some less educated and some much more.
    More educated users know, for example, that they should share just one window at a time, not just to avoid revealing passwords by accident, but also to avoid revealing any other kind of information that might be on their desktop.
    And more educated users could choose to use a potentially less secure – but at the same time much more convenient – shortcut to quickly reveal their passwords.
    So, maybe use a more robust shortcut as a default and warn the user that using a shortcut like just ⌥ is potentially dangerous, but let the user choose this, please.

• lucasec
    lucasec
    Community Member

Just caught up on this thread—glad to see Cmd+R is available and works fine for me in the latest 1Password 8 beta. Is there any chance we can get a similar shortcut for opening a password in Large Type?

I use this function occasionally when (god forbid) I have to type a password into another device (ugh smart TVs). Seems like you can arrow your way over to it but it's sort of clunky.

• A workaround (at least for the Desktop app) for some might be remap cmd+r to some other combination. But you can unfortunately not remap it to just alt. There has to be a second key. Like alt+z.

This discussion has been closed.