Issues with connection to browser extension

Options

I've had 1Password 8 installed on my main desktop since it became available for early access. Since it was lacking some crucial features in the beginning I held of installing it on my other devices. But since a while back I've replaced 1Password 7 with 8 on all om my regular devices and hadn't run into any big issues (except for the Windows Hello unlock still acting up sometimes) until today.

I've been on vacation for the last week and so I haven't used my work laptop between 30/10 - 7/11. When I came back today I noticed that the browser extension didn't unlock with the desktop app anymore, I had to enter my master password to unlock the browser extension as well. I'll try and list below what I did to try and fix it (not necessarily in order)

• I checked the version of the desktop app and the extension and updated both to the latest.
  • I tried flipping the setting in the desktop app under Settings > Browser > Connect with 1Password in the browser
  • I tried flipping the setting in the browser extension under Settings > General > Integrate with 1Password app
  • I tried flipping the integration setting in both the apps and the extension in every way imaginable
  • I uninstalled the browser extension and installed it again, which meant having to log in to 1Password again
  • Restarting the browser or the desktop app didn't make any difference
  • On my work laptop I'm using Edge as my main browser but I've got Firefox installed as well so I tried that but the issue was the same there

So it seems like 1Password and the browser extension isn't talking anymore since I've been away for just over a week. I've yet to try and reinstall both the desktop app and the browser extension at the same time with reboots in between as I wanted to see if this was fixable by some other method.

One thing I've noticed is that on my main desktop at home, where everything is working perfectly so far (knock on wood), the settings for the extension don't look exactly like they do on my work laptop.

On my desktop it looks like this:

On my work laptop it looks like this:

As you can see, the security settings are handled by the desktop app on my desktop, but on the work laptop they are handled separately, which is another sign that the integration isn't working.

I'm using Firefox on my desktop, but I also have 1Password configured in ungoogled-chromium so just for comparison I opened that browser as well and since I hadn't used it in a while the browser extension was outdated (2.1.3) and wasn't integrating with the desktop app and updating it to the latest (2.1.8) didn't make any difference. So there I had another example of the integration not working after not being actively used for a while. But on the other hand I also have a private laptop which I haven't used in a couple of weeks and this issue didn't occur on that device when booting it up just now.

I haven't had this issue with 1Password 7 I suspect that it's got something to do with the beta of 1Password 8 and/or the beta of the browser extension. I'm guessing you need some logs/diagnostics to troubleshoot this further, so please let me know what I should send and how.

1Password Version: 8.4.0 (80400040, on BETA channel)
Extension Version: 2.1.8
OS Version: Windows 10 21H1 (19043.1110)

Comments

• dmpaul1
    dmpaul1
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem in 22000.218 windows 11 1password 8.4.0 and extension 2.1.8 with Brave, Firefox and Edge.

• edspar
    edspar
    Community Member
    Options

Having this problem too with the latest update to 1Password 8.4 beta

• Hi @Backspaze , thank you for letting us know about this issue, and the (incredibly clear) detail you've provided here. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience this must have caused you.

I'll be happy to help resolve this. If you can send a short email to support+windows@1Password.com (and include a link to this discussion so we know it's you we're corresponding with), our team can dig into the details and start working towards a resolution.

I'm guessing you need some logs/diagnostics to troubleshoot this further, so please let me know what I should send and how.

Indeed, a great idea! I'll ask you to include with that email a set of diagnostics from 1Password for Windows (the desktop app).

Here's how to do that:

1. Unlock the 1Password app as usual.
    2. Select the three-dot (...) button, then Settings > Advanced > Send Diagnostics.
    3. Typically, 1Password saves the file to your desktop. Click Reveal to see for yourself.
    4. Attach that file to your reply to us here.

With those diagnostics, we can start determining the source of the issue and how to set it right. 👍

Can't wait to fix this up for you!

• @dmpaul1 and @edspar - I'm sorry to hear you've run into this as well. Can you send a short email with a link to this thread to support@1Password.com? We're happy to help get you on the path to resolution with this.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P I've sent an email with the diagnostics as requested.

• @Backspaze

I was able to locate your submission and it looks like you have been talking with one of my colleagues. Let's continue the discussion there. Thanks.

ref: YYP-21261-841

• Hi All,

Thank you for the detailed reports on this issue, we think we fixed it. Version 8.4.0-52 has been published to our nightly update channel. (Build number 80400052) You can install this version by Settings > Advanced > Set Release channel to NIGHTLY and then going to Settings > About > Check for Updates. Feel free to change back to the BETA channel after the update is finished.

You can also directly install this version with https://c.1password.com/dist/1P/win8/1PasswordSetup-8.4.0-52.NIGHTLY.exe.

Please let us know how that goes.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

@James.Dressel_1P I can confirm that the nightly update fixed the issue for me.

• Thank you for this confirmation, @Backspaze! It's wonderful to hear.

This discussion has been closed.