1Password displaying suggestions on too many form fields — Disable address/identity autofill fields?

Options
theremin
theremin
Community Member
edited October 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

At some point over the past few weeks, 1Password X has started to much more aggressively show up on all sorts of form fields as I browse the web, and it's showing a useless "No items to show" message that blocks other form fields and just generally makes for a distracting user experience. I'm seeing it on address fields and even other random form fields that I never used to see it on.

I don't know if something has changed in the 1Password autofill logic, or if it's because I added an Identity at some point in the past couple months (which I have since moved to a disabled Archive vault in a vain attempt to get relief from this issue). This is actively detracting from my day to day user experience. As a professional web/UX developer, constantly seeing a giant "No items to show" message that prevents me from seeing other form fields is absolutely driving me crazy. I don't have an identity saved in my active vault. I don't need or want a message popping up to tell me that 1Password can't do anything with a given form field.

Is this a bug? And even if it is, is there any way we can an option for 1Password to only use its form field heuristics on login related form fields? It's called 1Password after all, not 1EveryFormFieldOnTheWeb. I've been using 1Password for a decade now, and to this day, I'm really only interested in using it for usernames, passwords, and 2FA security codes, and not much else.

1Password Version: 7.8.820
Extension Version: 2.1.3
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2021
    Options

Hey @theremin ,

Yes, we've recently changed how 1Password works on non-login forms and enhanced its abilities to autofill fields such as addresses, emails, zip codes and other fields. 1Password will suggest autofilling in such fields from identity items you have in your vault.

I can definitely see how this is distracting if you do not have an identity item in your vault though, so I'll forward this feedback to the team and see what we can do about it. Thank you for bringing this up, much appreciated :)

ref: dev/core/core#9970

• henriquem
    henriquem
    Community Member
    Options

This "more aggressive" autofill on non login forms is simply annoying. I have thousands of auto-complete terms saved in my browser from dozen websites I use in a regular basis and they are simply gone with no way to teach 1password to auto-complete them. I have disabled the extension but the software becomes useless without it. Is there a way to restrict 1password to only auto-complete login information and leave Chrome default auto-complete functionality to the other fields?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hi @henriquem ,

You can simply tone down 1Password by setting it to not show up on its own. Here's how:

1. Install/enable 1Password in your browser.
    2. Right-click the 1Password extension icon and select "Settings".
    3. In the settings page that opens, turn off the "Show autofill menu on field focus" option.

That'll make 1Password remain silent when you click inside fields and prevent it from showing up on its own. Whenever you need it, simply click the little 1Password icon that shows up in the right corner of the field and that'll reveal 1Password's autofill suggestions.

ref: dev/core/core#9970

• henriquem
    henriquem
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @ag_yaron ,

I have done that but it does not fix my problem. 1Password is controlling every field autocomplete, preventing my browser saving and suggesting used terms to autocomplete. Pior to the last update, 1Password was only controlling login information.

I have run into many forms where the browser autocomplete functionality would save me a lot of time filling these forms, but since 1Password is controlling every autocomplete field, neither my browser or 1Password is suggesting me used terms.

I need one of the following:

• Instruct 1Password to only fill login information and let the browser control the other fields.
    • Instruct 1Password to automatically save EVERY FIELD in a form (the same way native Chrome works).

Thank you,

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for clarifying @henriquem ,

1Password can autofill information you have in identity items, which include a full name, address, phone number, email and some other personal information. You can have multiple identity items (for various different people) and it might help you autofill the data you need, but it sounds like you want to be able to autofill all sorts of random fields that don't necessarily have anything to do with personal information.

If that's the case, you can turn on your browser's autofill back like so:

1. Right-click the 1Password's extension icon in your browser's toolbar and select "Settings".
    2. In the settings page, turn off the "Make 1Password the default password manager".
    3. Go into your browser's settings -> Autofill -> Turn on the relevant autofill features you need from the browser.

Now both 1Password and your browser will be able to make autofill suggestions. I hope you'll find this helpful :chuffed:

• henriquem
    henriquem
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thank worked! Thank you!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad I could help :)

This discussion has been closed.