Easier way to change the existing account email to Masked Email

2»

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the clarification @Manaburner ,

As I mentioned, the new masked email feature is currently only useable when signing up for new websites, not for when you want to change an email address of an existing account.

However, we're looking into how we can add that feature to also work for changing emails in existing accounts :)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

@AndrewParker You can still generate masked emails directly in Fastmail and manually use them in 1Password, which would work the same except it will take a couple of extra clicks :)

When you sign up for a new website, 1Password will do the job for you, but when you want to change an existing login's email address, create a masked email directly in your Fastmail account and add it to your login entry in 1Password.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Glad I could help :+1:

• mafm27
    mafm27
    Community Member

Any news regarding better support to updating accounts @ag_yaron ? Even just being able to generate a masked email without having to browse FM settings would be alright.

• Hey @mafm27:

We don't have any specifics just yet to share. Thanks for your patience!

Jack

• bugs
    bugs
    Community Member

The problem is that most of the time the masked email IS your user name, there is not a separate entry. Plus. when you create a masked email, there is no way to automatically copy it even if you are in the app to make it your username. Is that clear? This happens over and over.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @bugs ,
    That's not exactly a problem. You can keep the username field empty, 1Password will still autofill your masked email in the username field when needed.

Is that what you're referring to?

• cmeury
    cmeury
    Community Member

I switched from LastPass to 1Password specifically for this feature, but it certainly lacks in functionality. If the prompt doesn't show up on a registration form, there is no way to generate a masked email. I would like to manually trigger this, or have the option in the extension or native app.
    Concrete case was: https://www.dropout.tv/checkout/subscribe/purchase

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @cmeury! I agree that having a way to generate masked emails outside of the sign up form is important. I will share your thoughts on this with our developers. Hopefully this is something that we can improve on in the future.

Please don't hesitate to reach out again if you have any other questions!

ref: dev/core/core#10505

This discussion has been closed.