Paste master password - mouse fails, keyboard works

Options

I recently started having problems using the 1Password browser extension (Chrome, on Mac) after using it happily for several months. Recently I found I could not log into 1Password and ultimately realized that the problem was that it failed when I used the mouse when copying and pasting the master password but if I used the keyboard I could log into 1Password just fine. Has anyone else encountered this situation?

I'm running Mac OS 12.0.1 (Monterey) but I encountered the problem before the upgrade while running Big Sur. I'm using version 2.1.4 of the 1Password Chrome extension on Google Chrome Version 95.0.4638.69 (Official Build) (x86_64).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: macOS 12.0.1

Comments

• Hi @rsantostrellis:

Thanks for letting us know about this! We're actively investigating and hope to have a fix out soon, but as you mentioned, pressing Enter on your keyboard will unlock 1Password in your browser.

Just as an aside, we don't recommend storing your master password somewhere on your computer to be copied and pasted to unlock 1Password, as it could be potentially be exposed or insecure. :smile:

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#10977

• rsantostrellis
    rsantostrellis
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @jack.platten , thanks for the reply.

For what it's worth, your point about master password accessibility is well taken. That said, I keep my 1Password master password (unique, randomly generated) in a different password manager I use personally (KeePassXC) to access company credentials stored in 1Password. But agreed careless master password storage is a bad idea.

• Sounds like you've got it under control then @rsantostrellis! :chuffed:

Jack

• rsantostrellis
    rsantostrellis
    Community Member
    Options

You're entirely right in pointing out the inherent risks of allowing copy/paste functionality for password input to 1Password, but I'm hoping 1Password will continue to allow it. Maybe continue to support it, but allow an option to disable master password copy/paste for users who prefer not to have the option and the potential risk exposure?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We don't plan on disabling/removing copy/paste in the master password input field for now, but for users who are having troubles remembering/typing their password we do encourage to consider changing it to a strong memorable password: https://1password.com/password-generator/?type=memorable

This discussion has been closed.