Apple Watch login does not work in 1Password 8

onemoremile
onemoremile
Community Member

Logging in, with an Apple Watch, to 1Password 8 for Mac does not work. I do have Apple Watch Unlock enabled in the Preferences. When I call up 1Password from the browser extension, I get a login screen and my Watch does nothing.

1Password Version: 8.2.0-44.BETA
Extension Version: 2.0.6
OS Version: macOS 11.5

Comments

• Hi @onemoremile,

Thanks so much for testing 1Password 8 for Mac!

I'm sorry you are having trouble with using your Apple Watch with 1Password 8. Our latest beta has some improvements for Apple Watch unlock. Can you try updating to the latest version and trying again?

Also can you check to make sure that when the 1Password app is unlocked that 1Password in the browser is also unlocked?

• 7h31ll3g4l
    7h31ll3g4l
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

hello...
    DAMN it doesn't work even with the new beta 1Password for Mac 8.2.0-56.BETA .... but do you also try before releasing the versions?
    Thanks

macOS 10.5.7
    1Password for Mac 8.2.0-56.BETA

• @7h31ll3g4l

Yes we do. It is working here on my Mac. The only noticeable difference I see is I am on Big Sur Monterey. I would recommend checking for updates and installing any to the watch, The last few user who emailed in needed an update. Also, please note that we require a minimum of watchOS 6.

System requirements for 1Password

• freyman
    freyman
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

I too cannot get 1P8 to unlock via my Apple Watch.
    I am able to get my Apple Watch to authenticate for macOS prompts.

1Password for Mac 8.2.0-56.BETA

macOS 11.5.2 (20G95)

watchOS 7.6.1

What are your recommendations beyond updating software?

• @freyman

Let's start with easiest and work our way forward. Open System Preferences > Security and Privacy > General and disable and then enable Apple Watch unlocking. Next, make sure the feature is enabled in 1Password and check for proper operation.

If that does not prove fruitful and you have an intel Mac you could try a SMC reset. This does not apply to M1 (Apple Silicon) Macs.

• Make sure your Mac is using the latest early access build.
    1. Disable whichever unlock method(s) you're using there -- Touch ID and/or Apple Watch unlock -- completely from within 1Password > Preferences > Security and in System Preferences.

2. Check for any apply any remaining macOS updates -- https://support.apple.com/HT201541

3. Perform a SMC reset: https://support.apple.com/HT201295

4. Restart your Mac(s) normally.

5. Setup your preferred unlock method(s) again.

• freyman
    freyman
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

This is what lead to my resolution.

"Disable whichever unlock method(s) you're using there -- Touch ID and/or Apple Watch unlock -- completely from within 1Password > Preferences > Security and in System Preferences."

I do not recall modifying this 1Password for Mac 8.2.0-56.BETA setting earlier.

I went to 1Password > Preferences > Security

Unlock Touch ID was selected
    Unlock Apple Watch was not selected.

Again, I do not remember ever modifying this setting earlier.

Now with Unlock Apple Watch selected, I am prompted to use my Apple Watch to unlock the 1Pawword application.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing what worked for you with the community @freyman! Please keep us posted and let us know if this happens again :+1:

• freyman
    freyman
    Community Member

I have not changed anything from 19 AUG but the Apple Watch option is missing. Any ideas what is going on?

• urbanherder
    urbanherder
    Community Member

After updating to Monterey (12.0.1) I am no longer able to unlock 1password 8 with my watch. I don't even see the option to turn it on in the 1password preferences. It WAS working before the update to Monterey. I have disabled/enabled watch settings in System Prefs, with no change and I checked for updates of 1password 8. I am currently on v8.4.0, 80400019 on Beta channel.
    Any suggestions on getting this back?

• slprice
    slprice
    Community Member

I have had issues with unlocking with Apple Watch too. It stopped prompting and the option to enable it did not appear in Preferences, as seen by @freyman and @urbanherder. Everything was up to date (macOS 12.0.1 and 1Password 8.4.0) so I did the SMC reset suggested by @ag_tommy. That resolved my issue and Apple Watch unlock worked. For a little while. After a few hours, my MacBook had slept, and after waking it unlock with Apple Watch stopped working in 1Password 8 again and the option was again missing from 1Password Preferences.

• AdieB
    AdieB
    Community Member

I'm fortunate enough for it to be working, even with pairing a new watch with a new MacBook Pro on Monterey.
    Is watch unlock working for the mac still? I had a issue getting that to be enabled and working in the first place but once that was sorted it has been solid.

• slprice
    slprice
    Community Member

@AdieB,

Yes, Apple Watch unlock is enabled in System Preferences and is working properly for macOS. It seems simply rebooting the MacBook is enough to fix 1Password 8 for a bit.

• @slprice @urbanherder

I'd like to ask each of you to create a diagnostics report from your device:

1Password 7

Sending Diagnostics Reports I am more interested in the 1Password 8 report at this time.

1Password 8

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Click 1Password in the menu bar.
    3. Click Preferences.
    4. Click Advanced in the new window that appears.
    5. Click Send Diagnostics.
    6. Click Reveal.
    7. Attach the .1pdiagnostics file saved in that folder to your reply.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. Include the following.

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/619053/#Comment_619053
    • Your respective forum username.
    • Out of curiosity has anyone updated to a newer M1 Mac? If so, how did you update? Copying the user folder or perhaps migration assistant? Does Touch ID work for you if you have it enabled?

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.
      The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• poomz
    poomz
    Community Member

Just chime in to share my experience. Note that these are all in clamshell mode with 1P8.

I had an intel-based MacBook Pro (iirc it was 2018 model) using Big Sur

• Unlock with Apple Watch was flaky. Sometimes it worked, most of the time it won’t. Restart the OS seems to fixes the issue for a while but not for too long.

I just changed to MBP with M1 cpu

• Big Sur for a week or so and then upgraded to Monterey. I think since Monterey upgrade, Apple Watch unlock has been really rock solid. The UX look like it has been better integrated with the OS and it never fail once.

IMO these are all contributions to stability of this feature

• MacOS version
    • CPU architecture
    • 1Password build
    • Maybe WatchOS version and also Apple Watch model (?). Mine is series 5.
  • slprice
    slprice
    Community Member

I submitted a diagnostic file after unlock with Apple Watch stopped working with 1Password 8, only touch ID unlocks 1Password. This time the Apple Watch option was still present and selected in Security Preferences. If it disappears again I will send another diagnostic.

The support ID for the submission is [#NYR-14168-643].

• slprice
    slprice
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

@ag_tommy,

I attached a second diagnostic to case [#NYR-14168-643]. This time the Apple Watch option is missing from Security in Preferences.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@slprice:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: NYR-14168-643

• slprice
    slprice
    Community Member

While the unlock with Apple Watch option has not disappeared from 1Password 8 for some time, there is about an 8 second delay between when 1Password prompts for Touch ID and when the Apple Watch can be used to unlock it. Additionally, after upgrading to macOS Monterey 12.1 the behavior has not changed.

• slprice
    slprice
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

The problem of Apple Watch not unlocking 1Password 8 still persists after upgrading macOS to 12.1 and 1Password to 8.5.0. I submitted another diagnostic while it was not only not unlocking but the Apple Watch option was missing from Preferences. The support ID is [#LFS-31912-468].

Following an SMC reset the Apple Watch option was still missing from Preferences, so in System Preferences I disabled and re-enabled the Apple Watch for unlocking the Mac. After that, unlocking with Apple Watch worked exactly once in 1Password then stopped again.

• Thanks we'll be in touch asap.

• Bakj
    Bakj
    Community Member

Hello, I have the same problem (i.e. a delay between when I click on the watch icon (or via the firefox extension) and when my watch actually prompts me to double click to confirm).

I am using the most up to date beta version and macos monterey.

• Bakj
    Bakj
    Community Member

is someone going to contact me regarding this issue?

• Hi @Bakj

Thank you for following up on this. Is there any such delay when using the Apple Watch to unlock other apps and macOS itself, or is it only with 1Password?

Ben

• Bakj
    Bakj
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

No, I have not noticed any latency when unlocking my mac or when I'm prompted by my mac (for example when installing software). The delay is fairly long (approx 8-9 seconds)

Thanks

Jeffrey

• Goldgamer
    Goldgamer
    Community Member

Same problem on version 7 and 8
    On version 8 TouchID even doesn't work in Safari :( (Where is the native extension)
    I really hope 1Password 8 won't be released until end of 2022 or start of 2023.
    A lot of features are missing and it's pretty unstable and uses a lot of resources.
    What about 1Password Mini? And the Drag and drop features.
    :( Still going to buy licenses for my company next week but I hope 1Password 8 gets much better Befor the release since version 7 works really great!

• Goldgamer
    Goldgamer
    Community Member

Same problem on version 7 and 8
    On version 8 TouchID even doesn't work in Safari :( (Where is the native extension)
    A lot of features are missing and it's pretty unstable and uses a lot of resources.
    :( Still going to buy licenses for my company next week but I hope 1Password 8 gets much better Befor the release since version 7 works really great!

• @Bakj

Would you mind trying the nightly channel (1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Release Channel, then check for updates), and then if the problem persists, please:

• Reproduce the issue and note the time (including seconds... https://time.is may help) when you click the Apple Watch icon and the time when the prompt appears on the Apple Watch
    • Open 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and select Send Diagnostics
    • Attach the diagnostics file from your downloads folder to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

Ben

• Hey @Goldgamer

1Password 8 works with our new 1Password for Safari extension, which is built on Apple's newest Safari Web Extensions technology. You can find this version in the App Store. https://apps.apple.com/app/1password-for-safari/id1569813296
    With this version installed, if you have the option to integrate with the app enabled in the extension (and vice versa), Touch ID will unlock both the app and the extension. Please let me know if you're having difficulties getting that going.

I think it is going to be sooner than that. :) But I don't have a specific timeline to offer, and let's all remember: the first release isn't going to be the last release. We'll continue to iterate on v8 throughout its life cycle. There are a lot of things we're going to want to add and improve after shipping "8.0."

1Password mini's spiritual successor is Quick Access:

Get to know Quick Access

A similar interface to what mini offered is still available in the browser extensions. Drag and drop is still there, and actually works in more places than most apps. If you're having trouble with it please let us know; we'll be happy to troubleshoot.

Thanks!

Ben

• Goldgamer
    Goldgamer
    Community Member

@Ben thanks for the quick response.
    So yes I have both 1Password 8 and the latest version of the Safari extension installed but with unlocking the app the extension will stay locked without the option to use touchid.
    I tried reinstalled everything and clearing the storage, reenabling touchID And the extension support.

Hm strange drag and drop stopped working for me in the new mini replacement. Maybe I do something wrong? But I try to do it the same way as in 7 and I cannot move the password or username out of the window.

• Goldgamer
    Goldgamer
    Community Member

I would like to include a video but it exceeded the e-Mail space.

This discussion has been closed.