My executrix after my death

leshemphill2
leshemphill2
Community Member

I am 87 and have been preparing my executrix, who is a friend that I trust very much. An additional use I see for 1password is to enable my executrix to access my websites after I pass on. I have advised my executrix to soon after my death, take my computer home (I certainly won't be using my computer then). With 1password and the computer that I have been using, my executor would have free access to my data. However, I foresee my executrix coming upon this roadblock -- the website insisting on proof that it is me using the computer. Normally that is done by texting a code to my cell phone. My executrix has a different cell phone number. Is there any way to get around this roadblock?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @leshemphill2!

Normally that is done by texting a code to my cell phone. My executrix has a different cell phone number. Is there any way to get around this roadblock?

You either allow your executrix access to your phone SIM card, so she can receive the confirmation messages, or you can switch from SMS authentication to an authenticator app to receive your codes. This way, you could configure the authenticator app on both your phone and her phone, and both of you would be able to receive the authentication codes since they would not rely to your phone number anymore.

• leshemphill2
    leshemphill2
    Community Member

I am not familiar with the technology for that. I never heard of an authenticator application. I never really adapted to a phone being for any other purpose than voice conversations. Alexander Graham Bell only intended for his invention to be used for voice conversations. For computer work, I only use my desktop computer. However, I have adapted well to receiving codes as text on my cell phone. Many people decades younger than me let their whole lives revolve around their smartphone.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@leshemphill2:

However, I have adapted well to receiving codes as text on my cell phone

An authenticator app does the same thing, without having to receive codes as text. An example of an authenticator app is Authy: https://authy.com/

This discussion has been closed.