New Feature Idea: Emergency Kit Creator

lonevvolf
lonevvolf
Community Member
Now that there has been so much information going around about what to do when you've been hacked, and Dropbox has added two-factor authentication, I have revisited the problem of the "what if my phone breaks while on vacation (or gets lost/stolen) or I get hacked?". If I am a 1Password "purist", I only know one password to open my 1Password keychain, and would be unable to get into my Dropbox account. The solution I came up with was to add a USB stick to my physical keychain, and keep a recent backup of my 1Password keychain on there. Using 1PasswordAnywhere, I would be able to get into my passwords with any computer web browser - in theory. Here's the problem:

- Chrome and Firefox both block local files, IE is not supported by 1PasswordAnywhere. If I were on an Internet cafe computer, I may not be able to change the app shortcuts to allow that.

So I added Chrome Portable to the USB stick, and created a shortcut which launches the 1PasswordAnywhere file correctly. I'll do the same with a Mac version, just to be prepared. But now the problem is, I have to manually update my 1Password file every once in a while. Which brings me to the new feature idea:

I would like to have a feature in 1Password to automatically create a prepared emergency USB stick.
It could add a browser, with correct linking to the password file. It could autoupdate the key's data files, if detected by the app. It could add other useful things like the 1Password Installers for all operating systems, Dropbox installer, emergency instructions (perhaps with custom defined data), etc. I'm sure the clever people at Agile would be able to come up with some pretty neat things to put on such an image.

What do you think, Agile? :)

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It's great to be thinking of these things! It sounds like you've got a pretty good workflow. There are automation tools which can copy the your 1Password.agilekeychain data file to a USB flash drive whenever you plug it in. I think that will get you about 90% of the way there. I'll mention this to the developers.

Thanks for letting us know you'd be interested in something like this! :D
This discussion has been closed.