Unlocking multiple accounts with single master password

Options

Hi!

I have two accounts added to my 1Password; one personal and one for work. In 1Password 7 I used to be able to only use the master password of my personal account to unlock both accounts. In 1Password 8, I have to type both master passwords to unlock the accounts individually.

Is this intended behaviour or am I missing something? Happens on both macOS and Windows 10.

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7

Comments

• Hi @gabe_s:

Thanks for asking about this, the short version is this is intended behavior. We recommend using the same account password across all of your 1Password accounts. As you noticed, 1Password 7 will unlock using the password of the first 1Password account added to the app, but 1Password 8 will unlock any 1Password accounts that use that password. For more specifics on why this was changed and implemented this way, there's a few posts here that will clarify further than I can here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/608291/#Comment_608291

Jack

• gabe_s
    gabe_s
    Community Member
    Options

Great! Thanks for the clarification.

Gabe

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Jack, you are welcome @gabe_s! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.