To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How remember my master password (a passphrase)

ghostdog
ghostdog
Community Member

Before join to 1password, I want use a 5 o 6 words passphrase to be my master password,

but how in hell remember it? I know 1pass have a random generator like:

townsman risc bronchi pink doff anion
exorcism mizzen unsnarl bedrock outflow building

I think follow the same "thing" like the roll the dice, but come on! is very hard remember that!

Maybe you say "well write in the 1pass paper with your secret key and store it a secure place", seriously? a thief or somebody can read that, a real password should be in your head, so how can remember that!!!!

what about if I use my own words? like: star cat night jump ? that don't works right? too common words? so again is hard remember something like: eidolon pulley codger boy alec breech

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ghostdog!

It will get easier and easier to remember it as you continue typing it :+1: You can also consider starting from 4 random words. This article has some suggestions:

How to choose a good Master Password

Maybe you say "well write in the 1pass paper with your secret key and store it a secure place", seriously? a thief or somebody can read that, a real password should be in your head, so how can remember that!!!!

Yes, having a copy of your Emergency Kit stored in a secured place is important, in case you forget your credentials, or in case a family member needs to access this information in an emergency. It is important though, as you say, that you store this document in a secure place, or someone else that you don't want might be able to get this information.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

I have the opinion it's very important to print and physically store the keys to your digital existence. It's always possible to lose them, if they are only stored in your brain. An accident, a brain injury, a lapse of your mind, and suddenly you cannot remember your password any more. You think this is something that cannot happen, but actually it's absolutely possible in every minute of your life.

Even more important for a service like 1Password, because there is no backdoor. No support you can call and order "reset my password".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I have the opinion it's very important to print and physically store the keys to your digital existence. It's always possible to lose them, if they are only stored in your brain. An accident, a brain injury, a lapse of your mind, and suddenly you cannot remember your password any more. You think this is something that cannot happen, but actually it's absolutely possible in every minute of your life.

Agreed @Tertius3 :+1:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

Make up words that aren't really words but are pronounceable

IE CarfraLesidMolfur

Once you get the three words add rules you can remember like replacing certain letters with numbers or symbols.

just repeat the 3 words in your head , then log in and sign out of one password repeatedly until you remember it. Keep the password written for the first 3-5 days incase you forget it. I keep it written on my skin then wash it off when i fully memorise it.

• Also some great ideas @solcutter :smile:

• ghostdog
    ghostdog
    Community Member

thanks to all, just two last questions:

• suggested minimum number of words? 3, 4 o 6? or?
    • spaces or dashes between the words?
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ghostdog:

suggested minimum number of words? 3, 4 o 6? or?

4 would be a good balance between complexity and how easy it is to type, in my opinion.

spaces or dashes between the words?

It's the same, whatever you prefer :+1:

• ghostdog
    ghostdog
    Community Member

thank you @ag_ana
    great advice @Tertius3

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.