Type in window missing

Options

Hi, the type in window feature appears to be missing from the version 8 beta. Will this feature make a return? I use it every day to quickly fill in info in non-browser programs.

1Password Version: 8.1.2-82.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @faubt! 👋

By "type in window" do you mean the 1Password mini window that appears when you click on the 1Password icon in the menubar in 1Password 7? If so then 1Password mini has been replaced with Quick Access. You can access Quick Access by using this keyboard shortcut: shift command spacebar

Give it a try and let us know what you think. If you meant something else then let me know. :)

• faubt
    faubt
    Community Member
    Options

Nope, not quick access.
    Load 1Password 7 for Desktop on Windows (should've mentioned that), click on the V arrow next to the copy button on any password and choose "type in window". Pick a window where your text entry cursor is waiting and watch the autotype magic. 😁

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2021
    Options

Ah, thanks for clarifying @faubt. We do have an open request for this and I'll be happy to add your voice to that request. That said, have you tried using drag & drop to get the information from 1Password into other non-browser windows? Are there any examples you could provide where drag & drop doesn't fit the bill, but 'type in window' did?

Thanks!

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#3904

• faubt
    faubt
    Community Member
    Options

I will check this later as I'm not on the machine with 1P8, but I suspect that the drag and drop will work for local apps in most cases. However, I have a feeling that drag and drop won't work for systems where I'm using Remote Desktop to connect to. Since 1P7 is just auto-typing, I can log in to apps on a remote system without replacing what's already on my clipboard using Type in Window. I'm often doing this at work when using a graphical session on Windows Server, Remote Desktop Services setups for exactly.

• Ben
    Options

Gotcha! Remote Desktop is a situation another customer had mentioned. Thanks for that. I'll update the issue with that feedback as well.

Ben

• bsales
    bsales
    Community Member
    Options

Hi.

If I may chime in:
    1) drag & drop doesn't work in the "mini app" (ctrl+shift+space) - by the way: this mini app is blazing fast when compared to the mini app in version 7!
    2) even if drag & drop was working, it's still much quicker if we could have a quick shortcut to "type in window". Just like you have ctrl+c to copy user and ctrl+shift+c to copy password, maybe we could have a ctrl+v to directly type the user in the window and ctrl+shift+v to directly type the password. This would really improve the workflow. Even better if the shortcuts were configurable :)

Thanks!
    Bruno

• faubt
    faubt
    Community Member
    Options

So to circle back to this now that 1Password 8 for Windows has been officially released, drag and drop as so far worked in all cases I've tried, including dropping the password on a Remote Desktop window. Now I won't miss Type in window!

• Hey @faubt:

Glad to hear you're just as excited about 1Password 8 for Windows as we are and that drag and drop is working excellently for you! :smile:

Jack

This discussion has been closed.