Plugin unlocking additional accounts & opening 1password app/website

Options

I'm guessing that most people tend to work primarily using the 1Password browser plugin.

I've recently gotten my company using 1Password Business, and also have a personal account. There's another thread about unlocking multiple accounts with 1 password, but right now the ability to unlock a second account seems incredibly tedious and ought to be improved.

Starting off the day with 1Password locked, and clicking in the field for the plugin to auto-fill, I'm prompted to put in my Master Password. I type in either my work or personal password, unlocking the associated account. But then once I start needing passwords from the alternate account, the plugin doesn't have any way from the form fil location, or anywhere else to unlock another account.

It also doesn't have anywhere I'm seeing that would open up the 1Password website or pop up the 1Password app if it's installed, where I could unlock the account. Regardless of the decision on giving us the ability to unlock multiple accounts with 1 password, streamlining opening website/app would be hugely helpful, and even if that does become an option unlocking multiple accounts easily within the plugin would benefit anyone opting not to use the feature.

1Password Version: 8.2.2
Extension Version: 2.1.3
OS Version: Win10

Comments

• BurningOutside
    BurningOutside
    Community Member
    Options

With 1Password 8 released today I thought I'd bump this.

My company is in the process of deploying 1Password to users and in my own personal testing and prepping, the inability to easily unlock multiple accounts with 1Password or at the very least unlock the second account easily is a huge pain point and frustration that will now be officially extended to users who take advantage of the linked Family account.

Some way of easily unlocking additional accounts from the form fill at the very least would be massively helpful. 1Password plugin recognizing there's an additional unlocked account? Give an option in that menu to unlock it.

• Hi @BurningOutside:

First I'd like to apologize that your original post got missed. 1Password 8 will unlock any accounts that share the same account password. We recommend using the same account password across any 1Password accounts an individual may have. Jeffrey and Roustem go into more specifics on the nitty-gritty of multiple 1Password accounts and account passwords here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/608291/#Comment_608291

Jack

• BurningOutside
    BurningOutside
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response @jack.platten

I've seen the post about using the same password with multiple accounts and that's not something I can guarantee or intend to encourage, nor should it be something that 1Password expects.

I'm okay with not unlocking all accounts with a single password, but some form of an easy option to unlock additional accounts within the dropdown and plugin is missing in the new version, and the current method of unlocking additional accounts by going into the app or digging into the plugin's settings are cumbersome and unintuitive- which is the exact opposite reason I had encouraged my company to go with 1Password over its competition.

• @BurningOutside:

The short version is that while 1Password is locked, it has no idea how many possible account passwords there are for the accounts added. The only way for 1Password to know how many accounts would be unlocked with a specific account password is to actually make an unlock attempt, and see how many accounts unlock. With that limitation in mind, there's no good way to unlock multiple accounts with unique account passwords in a single step. We do recommend when working with multiple 1Password accounts to use the same account password: How to use multiple accounts

As Roustem mentioned in the thread I linked, your account password being reused here is not the same as reusing a password elsewhere. Your account password is combined with the Secret Key, which is unique for every account. Both of these pieces combined are required to decrypt your data. They are known only to the account holder.

Additionally, with Windows Hello for 1Password for Windows, after all accounts have been unlocked with their account password at least once, Windows Hello will unlock all accounts at the same time until 1Password for Windows is closed.

Jack

• BurningOutside
    BurningOutside
    Community Member
    Options

Again, I understand and can appreciate the design decision behind not unlocking multiple accounts that have different master passwords.

My main issue is that for anyone that doesn't reuse a master password on a password vaulting app, especially between their personal and business accounts, is that the plugin does not make it easy to unlock.

The plugin can tell which accounts are locked vs unlocked.

To unlock an additional account, we have to open up the app, dropdown All Vaults, and select the locked vault.

Why not something seamlessly built into the dropdown to show "Hey, you have additional locked accounts. Click this and unlock them" in the actual password dropdown when we actually need the plugin to work for us?

• Hey @BurningOutside:

Thanks for the feedback with an example of what you'd like to see! While I can't make any promises, I have created an internal issue to share your idea with the rest of the team. Our developers will go over your feedback to see if it’s something they’ll be able to add to a future version of 1Password. Take care!

Jack

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#1062

• BramBE
    BramBE
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I'm requesting the same option as @BurningOutside
    I completely agree with his views on things

https://1password.community/discussion/125044/unlocking-accounts-in-1password-8-for-windows#latest

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @BramBE. I've added your voice to that request as well. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.